blown fuse

Old 11-20-00, 10:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

i have a BDP heat pump, and i just completed installing a new CT70A Honeywell thermostat. it worked momentarily when i powered on the switch (from the circuit breaker). i adjusted the temperature lever to a higher temp, n i saw sparks flying out near the mercury tubes. then, it stopped working!

i believe i had blown a fuse somewhere, but where? the circuit breaker switch remains at ON position. i reset the switch but to no avail. please help... i have been freezing my ***-off for the past 2 weeks.

pls advise n thanking u in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-00, 04:27 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bdp1120:
i have a BDP heat pump, and i just completed installing a new CT70A Honeywell thermostat. it worked momentarily when i powered on the switch (from the circuit breaker). i adjusted the temperature lever to a higher temp, n i saw sparks flying out near the mercury tubes. then, it stopped working!

i believe i had blown a fuse somewhere, but where? the circuit breaker switch remains at ON position. i reset the switch but to no avail. please help... i have been freezing my ***-off for the past 2 weeks.

pls advise n thanking u in advance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 11-21-00, 04:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Heat pump.You said the mercury tubes sparked.I assume you are talking about the ones in the tstat.Usually a HP has a set of 18/8 tstat wires to control fan/comp/elect heat so on and so on.If not rewired correctly on the low voltage side its possible the secondary side of the transformer was damage.Place your tstat so that your not. calling for heat or cooling/place the fan switch to on.If the blower does not start...your next option is to borrow a volt meter or buy one.Check for hi voltage into the transformer and low out(24 volts),also check the heat anticipators to see if they are burnt.Hopefully these few tidbits help!!PDF caution!!!!Your system may be 220 volts.

Old 11-21-00, 06:07 AM
Visiting Guest
where can i check if the H/P compressor is shorted? pls advise n thanx in advance.

Old 11-21-00, 01:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

if you know where the contactor is in the outside unit you can push it in to see if unit comes on but like any other i think you may have installed the t-stat in correctly and burnt it up. 1 why put a new t-stat in was there a problem befor this, 2nd if not were the wiring on it still the same this is why i say leave it to a pro you always end up paying more than doing it yourself more trouble than it is worth good luck

Old 11-21-00, 03:00 PM
Visiting Guest
u r correct; i m better off paying someone to do it. i ended up spending 175 to have a pro to come in to fix it. what happened was i miswired the common wire and it shorted the transformer.

live n learn -- lessons learned.