House is Dusty due to furnace?

Old 01-29-04, 08:06 PM
THE_BBC2
Visiting Guest
House is Dusty due to furnace?

It seems my house is very dusty. Regardless if its summer, winter or falls. I changed my furnace filter once every month or two. I also noticed my heating & return air ducts are a bit dirty. Could this be the cause of my problems. It wouldn't be a major issue but sometimes I can taste the dust in the air, and I am also have a nasty allergy problems. If this is not the problem, can someone tell me what it could be and how to solve it please.[SIZE=3]House is Dusty due to furnace?[/SIZE]

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-04, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not knowing how old of a home you have, and how old of system you have as well.

If you have allgery problems, won't hurt to invest into April Air filter system. The 2200/2400 are good basic air filter system. and do take alot out of the air..

If you are using the cheap 60cents filters, that's part of your problem. those filters only catch about 8% of the dust and rest is blown around in the house.

Old 01-30-04, 03:46 AM
THE_BBC2
Visiting Guest
dusty house due to old furnace?

[SIZE=3]dusty house due to old furnace?[/SIZE]

The furnace in my house is approximately 1976 (original with the house). Hope that helps to determined some of the problems.

An "air filtration system", I'm not 100% sold on it yet. Some people has told me it works, but some say it doesn't. I would like some input from all who has 1 please. Also, I've been told to get my duct clean and sanitized as well, Is that just a bunch of bologna? When I was getting quote from a local heating & cooling house, a couple has told me to get it done,but, a few says "it's a waste of money" (i am confused).

Old 01-30-04, 05:26 AM
Just do the basic duct cleaning. My parents had it done, and it made a diffrance in thier home along with the basic april air 2200 system.

It helped w/ mom's asthmas that she was having.

ANother thing could be your carpeting in your home. If it's orginal of the home. thye do put off a lot of dust.

What type of filter are you using now??

Old 01-30-04, 05:40 AM
I'm having the same problem, but its not a constant thing. I noticed that its happening again now that I've removed the carpet from the living room. And yes, I could have potted a plant with what I found under the padding. If you have carpeting in your home, I highly recommend having the carpet restretched if you plan to keep it since loose carpeting is harder to vacuum. I could see around the edges of the room where there was little dirt but right through the center of the room was the pile of dirt that the vacuum just couldn't get due to the loseness of the carpeting.

I've been using the better filters, which is helping. I think some of my problem may arise from the fact that my unit ran so poorly for years before I cleaned the coils. This leads me to think that I need to clean the ductwork in the house. I can't imagine with the moisture that had gathered inside the unit when it would freeze that there wouldn't be dirt and debris 'caked' inside the ductwork and will eventually work its way back into the house.

How can you clean the flexible ductwork that is in a home? I've seen the ads and sites for cleaning the metal ductwork in but never for the flexible kind.

Kay

Old 01-30-04, 07:08 AM
Lightbulb Filters

I have found over the years to clean the ducts is not worth it. To go with a better filter helps. To change them more like every 30 days helps. Then I guess its cost but the filters today dont have the oil like on them that they use to have that stops the dust . If you look they sell spray 's that you can put on the air filters before you put them in the unit. Just a very light coat on the intake side of the filter. This sure helps a lot. Then also do you have a good humidifier there on the furnace
In no way would I think Electronic filter. The people dont clean them so they just dont work. You can try the pleated type and go to the Air bear filter. They are good

Try the spray for now Filter coat Pura spray and others.
Even put some on the BETTER filters helps

ED

Old 01-30-04, 10:06 AM
THE_BBC2
Visiting Guest
house is dusty due to furnace?

At this point I am willing to try anything.
The filter i sued is a standard $3.00 filter nothing fancy. I guess that's my first mistake.

The spray you talked about, can you purchased it from H ome Depot, lowe's ...etc?

Thanks for all the helps guys/gals. I will try most of the suggestions and see what happens. Thanks again

Old 01-30-04, 10:15 AM
I know our Home D pot has had the filter spray here sLowes. could have it also. Some of the furnace companys or hvac could have it. I no we sell it.

Like I said put just a very light coat of it on the intake side of the filter. ED

Old 01-31-04, 06:44 PM
binford
Visiting Guest
Ok let say you get the ducts cleaned and everything looks good, but the problem may come back. The reason I say this is because you said you can taste it in air. I would want to see the return air duct/s to ensure you have no leaks. I have seen return ducts pull in dirt from under a house. Duct cleaning can work, but there are a lot of scams out there, kind of like cleaning you carpet for $19.95 and all they do is water down your carpet. It's about $500.00 to clean and seal. If you have flex duct, like they sell at H.D. or Lowe’s it comes 25' to box then its better to replace the ducts then to try and clean them. Metal ducts can be cleaned, but a lot of houses these days have the flexible ducts. Where is the furnace (garage, basement, closet) and where is the return air grill? Where does the filter go, in the furnace or in the return air grill. The pleated filters are better about $3.00 for the cheaper ones. FYI you can't just vacuum out the duct dirt, you need to have brushes to loosen it first. Also the only way to taste it, is to burn it first. Clean and check the return air portion of your system...