Motor Bearings squeeking, blower noisy

Old 01-30-04, 02:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Motor Bearings squeeking, blower noisy

Back again.

My furnace was squeeking like crazy. more like scraping or rubbing agains something. I initially thought it was the rubber motor mounts that went soft so I added washers to ad space but it kept happening.

I just figured out that the fan blade (if you call it that) had shifted to the right (side of the belt and pully) so that it was rubbing on the housing.

I readjusted the shaft and slid the whole shaft settings left about 1/2 inch to eliminate the rubbing. THis was a success however now the sweekinging is crazzy

I have reexamined it and it looks like the greeze in the right side bearing was pushed out. I used WD40 lubricant and that seems to eliminate the sqeek for now, but I think these bearings need to be replaced

The motor is attached to the outside of the blow unit and uses a belt to drive it. How would I get good access to these bearings to replace them quickly as it is -15C here in Toronto at night?

I noticed there are two screws on the upper outside of the housing of the fan casing but I just dont think it is that easy.

Please help
thanks
Chris

btw 20 year old Lennos G8 NG furnace belt drive 1 speed. Didnt change to 2 speed. (manually using the fan swwitch right now)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-04, 07:22 AM
Lightbulb blower

First get there and put some #10 motor oil in there just a little. Dont use" WD40 "for any motor or the bearings.

Yes: If I recall right on that lennox. Block the blower up take the 2 screws out and the blower should swing down and come out. some slide or pull out there also. Dont know if you have a Grainger store there or not . But the shaft and bearings are all the same See what size you need and call around . A collar on the shaft didnt come off and this let the fan wheel move over did it?

ED

Old 01-30-04, 08:18 AM
Collar didnt move I dont think

It doesnt look like the collar moved on the shaft but It may have. I cant really tell why the fan portion was to the extreem right and rubbing on the housing. I suspect the bearings maybe falling apart and that has caused a shift.

So do I replace just the bearings or do I replace bearings are shaft?

Are they standard bearings or do I need lennox bearings?

Am I best to remove piece and take to the store or is it pretty standard?
thanks

Old 01-30-04, 08:25 AM
It is best if you can take the shaft and a bearing with you so you get the right ones size and length. Yes get both shaft and bearings now. No they dont have to be lennox bearings just so they mount or fit on the blower right. So they are like what you have . ED

Old 01-30-04, 06:54 PM
Completed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did it. After a few scraped nuckles I managed to take out the blower unit and motor etc.

I had a heck of a time pulling out the shaft from the cage and the pulley wheel.

Non the less I replaced the shaft and both bearings as well as the belt

had a b...ch of a time putting the fan casing back on.

1 question, do I need to greese or lube the bearings.

they are listed on my invoice as Bearings 3/4" Lau & Lenno

I must say the whole thing only cost $30CDN approx $20US. I am certain if I called someone in it would have been $200-500cdn to fix thisif they even would have.

I still have one questions. How do you set the fan switch. I changed the dial a little and now the fan doesnt turn off

I have the 3 marks on the dial, what are they each for ?
thanks

BTW thanks for all the help!

Old 01-31-04, 08:10 AM
On the bearings you dont say if they have oil ports or not. If they dont we do rub some #10 oil on the shafts when we put them in for the first time.

Now the blower control what kind ??? there can be a switch there that you turned on that makes the fan run all the time.Or the one mark is the limit control for the furnace most of the time its set at 200o. Now the other two are the fan on and off. This you have to play with for what you want. Hold the dial and then move the pointers. Try fan on at 110o 115o and fan off at 95o .If air is to cool when it stops you push it up a little.

Also with the belt drive the motor pulley should be that you can make it bigger so the blower will move more air if you want.

Dont forget WD 40 is just to take things apart. Use #10 oil in the motor just like one time a year and a drop or two.

ED

Old 01-31-04, 08:00 PM
Bearings

Bearings were totally sealed and I called the DEALER today to see if they should be lubbed and he said it wasnt necessary.

Now that the whole thing is installed, if I place some drops on top of the area do you think that will work? or do I HAVE to take it apart again?

Also #10, ??? I have some 5w30 will that work?

Its a honeywell fan control I think I have it figured out
1st one is at what tempurature the fan comes on when TS calls for Furnace and 2nd one is what temp. it turns off when the TS calls for shut off.

The 3rd one 200o is that the overheat temp?

Also should I tighten the pully and motor will that eliminate the squeek?
thanks

Old 02-01-04, 12:25 PM
Not #5--30 oil just #10 oil thats all for motor

No just add a little to the shaft by the bearings is all just to start.

Now squeek????? motor or belt?????? the pulleys are good and bite the belt????? In middle of belt should be able to push down 1/4" to 1/2". Ok with blower on-----now look out here. Hold a bar of soap on the belt just a little and see if the squeek stops.
If so you can get some belt dressing when your out the next time. If not guess look at the motor .

#3---- 200oF thats the limit ED

Old 02-01-04, 07:14 PM
Fixed

I put some oil on the ends of the shaft at the couplings and bearings and the sqeek is gone.

I think the 1/2 HP motor is a little fast, it sound like a jet plane taking off.

It works and Im ok for now.
thanks again!

Old 02-02-04, 08:56 AM
blower

!/2 HP how big is this furnace? Most have 1/3 only,but thats ok.Now takes off like a jet. On the motor the pulley should be adjustable Or called variable pitch. This you can make bigger or smaller. So you could slow the blower down some if you want . ED