Freezen Heat Pump

Old 11-22-00, 05:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Could someone please let me know what the pressure readings should be on the low side and high side of a heat pump.Should readings be taken in the a/c mode or heat mode? also the outside unit freezes up at night and I don't hear it go into defrost mode.I have checked the defrost timer and I do not think it is working.I have turned the timer knob manually to where it should defrost but it will not do anything. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-23-00, 05:55 AM
Visiting Guest
With your outdoor coil clear of ice or frost,start the HP up.The suction line(larger of the two) after a few minutes should be hot to the touch,if so the charge should be fairly correct.REMEMBER a clean air filter is must for good HP operation.If you know to take readings there should be a chart to follow(usually on an inside panel of the outdoor unit).CAUTION!!!!DO NOT remove any panel without first disconnecting the electrical power!!!!A HP has a lot of checks and balances to it.Some go into defrost with a delta "P" switch.It is a pancake looking device.It senses a pressure differential with the outdoor fan running as the coil frosts.If you have this style it is possible a spiders web or something is plugging a tube.Your HP at this point will not discern a "DELTA P".Once again SHUT off the power before checking this.If your HP is a newer model everything is solid state with thermisters.But since you mentioned a rotating manual timer I believe your find something plugging the two small tubes.Good luck!!!!Happy Turkey Day!!!!PDF

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: