Carrier Furnace Problems

Old 01-31-04, 06:18 AM
dsanders3
Visiting Guest
Carrier Furnace Problems

I have a carrier hvac system that is 14 years old. In the past few weeks, the natural gas furnace has been working sporadically, and in the last couple of days, not at all. It has a thermostat activated ignitor for the pilot. I replaced the 10 year old programmable thermostat I had last week because the temperature reading was jumping all over the place, causing the furnace to start and stop. The new thermostat is a fairly inexpensive Hunter programmable, and it worked great for a couple of days. At this point, I can't get the furnace to even respond to the thermostat, ie. won't even begin to ignite.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-04, 06:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sounds like it could be a few things. the sporadic operation (on /off) could have been caused by the high limit opening. it may now be stuck open. does the fan run? jump r and w at the furnace..heat come on...jump r and g, fan? if no fan you probably have a low voltage problem...bad transformer or fuse. could be sparker, do you have a meter?

Old 01-31-04, 06:43 AM
dsanders3
Visiting Guest
Yes, the fan runs. No, I don't have a meter. I'll probably call someone to fix it, I am just hoping they won't tell me my house is going to explode or something if I don't buy a new one.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-31-04, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sounds like there is ignition failure. i believe your unit has a black box that the spark wire leads to, and a 3 wire pilot burner. either of these could be bad. transformer is good, high limit probably closed because i believe when it opens the indoor fan stays on.

Old 01-31-04, 08:58 AM
dsanders3
Visiting Guest
Thanks again. I took the ignition module out to look at it, went ahead and ordered a new one, put the old one back in so I would remember how it goes, and of course now it is working again. I'm thinking maybe I knocked the ignitor wire loose or something? Who knows.