ice ring near bottom of cylinder near compressor

Old 01-31-04, 03:16 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ice ring near bottom of cylinder near compressor

Hi,
When I took off a panel on my Carrier heat pump(38YRA) to change the defrost cycle timer, I noticed that compressor had an insulation cover on it, but near it was a smaller cylinder that had an ice ring around the bottom 1/6th. or 1/5th. of the cylinder. I am not sure what this cylinder is. Is the ice normal? What does it tell you...I'm a bit worried. Thanks
George

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-04, 06:05 PM
sounds like an accumulator. resevoir of liquid refrigerant that boils off before entering the compressor. since cooling takes more freon than cooling. it is "stored" here during heat. what is the outdoor temp. and the line temp of the big line at the unit?

Old 01-31-04, 06:35 PM
That ice is normal. It will come and go as outdoor temperatures rise and fall. It is as hvac says an 'accumulator' and as its name implies, is a place for liquid refrigerant to accumulate. If it went back to the compressor as a liquid, it could cause damage to the compressor. Don't worry about it unless the ice covers more than about 50% of its height.

Old 01-31-04, 08:14 PM
G

Thanks...........not even near half way covered. Temp outside is about
-13C...
I just did have to go out and take off a bench of insulation I put on pipes coming out of the compressor(inside the unit). I've always had insulation on the suction line outside of HP, but I though I'd put some on inside the HP. Well after doing it, the variable speed fan would not ramp up. I must have gotten/put insulation on some sensors near the line?????? The HP ran, and ran, but the fan never increased like it used to before. The only other thing I did today was increase the defrost interval timer from 50min to 90min......,but there was No frost on the coils to affect anything..I was baffled. Any ideas? Thanks
George

Old 02-01-04, 04:53 AM
That depends on the relative humidity. Colder air can not hold as much moisture and when the air is dry, the heat exchange takes place but no major amount of frost will form. I like the demand defrost controls on newer heat pumps as opposed to timed defrost. If there is no frost formed, it will not go into defrost mode. That saves energy and wear and tear too.

Old 02-01-04, 08:35 AM
Id say just let the out door unit alone. The company new what and how the unit should be. So if it is working stay away from it. Like has been said the big line from the unit should have insulation on it. That tank you looked at is call everything under the sun an Accumulator a Receiver and on some a Muffler.

KField and hvac4u have said it all ED