heating and a/c

Old 01-31-04, 09:02 PM
kevinN
Visiting Guest
heating and a/c

I'm new to this forum and I rally need help! I live in Oregon and my wife and I just bought a 25 yr old, 23 sqft , two story, ( the upper level is a loft so everythings pretty open with high cathedral ceilings. The heating system is electric wall heaters in each room. We have a large fireplace but no stove. The heating bill is killing us! Average is 300.00 so far. We spent everything getting into this place but we really need a new system or systems. We are too far out for gas unless we get propane. We need to heat and cool and save money. What do you think?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-04, 10:19 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
heating and cooling??

A heat pump will do the job . Get and HVAC contractor to do a heating & cooling load calculation on the house. From this will determine the size required. This will be about 6 tons. You might want to keep the wall heaters hooked up for back-up or if the heat pump won't keep up.
In the mean time, a wood stove might keep some of those thermostats from calling and running you into the poor-house!
I have oil, and last month was about $220.00, when the temp goes down you really eat up the fuel...everyone is experiencing it this year....

Old 02-01-04, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We had propane for years. It worked fine. Every year the truck came around and filled our 1200 gallon tank and it would last the entire heating season. There are a lot of standard furnaces out there that will burn propane and the cost isn't bad if you have a local dealer. Our clothes dryer, water heater, and stove also used the same fuel. Check to see if you can get it in your local area. I guess in some parts of the US propane isn't easy to get or is too expensive. Here in the midwest a lot of it is used and is available at an attractive price. In the cities you have access to natural gas, but when we lived on the farm propane was king. Heating with electricity is usually the most expensive. Those around here that use it have been crying lately because of the subzero temperatures.

Old 02-01-04, 09:14 PM
kevinN
Visiting Guest
home heating

Thanks for the reply! I will get an evaluation. How will I know if propane or electric is cheaper?
kev

Old 02-01-04, 09:19 PM
Go to http://www.warmair.com/ and you can check out on what would be cheaper to have in your area in the long run.

Old 02-02-04, 06:42 AM
To compare the fuel cost go to http://www.warmair.net and see if the LP or electric is the best for there.

6 ton heatpump for 2300sq ft dont think so. Have to run a load to be sure. If you stay electric do go with a heatpump

Large fireplace. Do you burn it a lot? Does it have its own outside air intake? Do you close the damper when not burning. Does the damper close tight for sure? We have found that when people dont use a fire place that the fuel cost have gone down.

ED