Furnace blows cool air???

Old 02-02-04, 04:20 AM
BuilderJames
Visiting Guest
Furnace blows cool air???

Greetings!

I have recently installed a furnace in my house. It is a 60k BTU furnace. With the furnace alone it has had a hard time keeping up to 65-66 degrees. Now my house is older and does have some air leaks. The downstairs is about 1200 sq. ft that the furnace is supplying air too.But I also noticed that the air that the furnace is actually blowing is rather cool. The flames are a light blue. It just seems that the furnace is not burning hot enough for the blower air. Is this possible? Any other suggestion? Maybe a bigger furnace?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-04, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
BuilderJames:

It would be helpfull to know where you are and what outside temps you are experiencing.
Go here.

The reason that the air is cool is likely because the furnace is undersized.
How did the furnace size come to be chosen.

Old 02-02-04, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Also is the pressure (W/C) on the gas line set right? ED

Old 02-02-04, 07:51 PM
BuilderJames
Visiting Guest
In need of a warmer house!

GregH wrote:

How did the furnace size come to be chosen?

(I did use an excel spread sheet for heat loss from a professional engineer in the heating and cooling business. As I stated the first floor is about 1200 sq ft and the formula showed that a 45k BTU furnace should work but I upped it to a 60K)

"It would be helpfull to know where you are and what outside temps you are experiencing."

(sorry here is more info)

Things we need to know are:

1. In which area you live and ambient temperatures you usually experience.

I live in Indiana right now the temps have been really low 0-25 degrees

2. House style and construction details.

Stick built not insulated the greatest and an older farm house.

3. Make, model and age of equipment related to the problem.

It is a Janitrol furnace

GMNT060-3 90%

4. Fuel type.

LP gas

5. Thermostat type.

digital thermostat with 4 settings per day

7. Anything else that would be useful.

I know for sure that the air moving right out of the furnace is cool because there is a vent on the main duct that I opened and even that air is cool.

Ed Imeduc wrote:

"Also is the pressure (W/C) on the gas line set right?"

Hello Ed!
Funny you posted this because that was going to be my next question. I think this is the possible problem. But do I have to have a manometer to actually adjust this? Do you suggest I get a professional? Or is this something I can do on my own? Thanks for everyones input!

I hope to get this house warming up some!

James

Old 02-02-04, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
James:

You might want to get a qualified heating contractor in to check the gas pressure and to make sure everything is working as it should.

Did you install this yourself?
If you did, fess up before your service person starts looking the unit over.
He may miss something if there was an error in the installation.

Old 02-02-04, 08:19 PM
BuilderJames
Visiting Guest
GregH wrote:

"You might want to get a qualified heating contractor in to check the gas pressure and to make sure everything is working as it should.

Did you install this yourself?
If you did, fess up before your service person starts looking the unit over. He may miss something if there was an error in the installation."

Greg

Yes I did install the furnace. I am an industrial electrician and work with both eletricity and gas although I am not a HVAC guy. But I thought I could do this no problem. The furnace does work but it seems I am not getting what I should out of it. I think calling a contractor who has the equipment and know how is probably the best thing to do. I am calling in the morning. Thanks!

Old 02-02-04, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Good plan.

You might agree that there could be 90% of a trade someone could figure out with basic knowlege and research skills.

It's the 10% novices can't figure out that gets them in trouble and earns us the big bucks.

Old 02-02-04, 08:36 PM
BuilderJames
Visiting Guest
GregH wrote:

"It's the 10% novices can't figure out that gets them in trouble and earns us the big bucks"

Hey!

Yes but I do pretty good in the industrial evironment. I think there is good money to be had in both fields.

I have thought about going into electrical/HVAC contractor business just so I could work for myself or just to get out of the factory.

Old 02-02-04, 09:16 PM
binford
Visiting Guest
Do you still have the installers guide that came with the furnace? The reason is, it will show where to adjust the manifold pressure.
you can buy or make a manometer. search the web. It sure can't hurt to have somebody come out and double check your work, adjust the gas pressure, check the flue and intake. Also we are assuming you replaced an exsiting unit.

Old 02-03-04, 07:10 AM
Another thing you can do is put a temp probe in the return by the air filter and take a reading..

then take a reading just above where the air leaves the furnace..

Then we can see what kind of temp rise you have.. Please post of what you have for reading.

What kind of return do you have? how many/where?

Are the supply duct in a crawlspace area of the house where it's not warm?

Old 02-03-04, 07:48 AM
Lightbulb Furnace

OK now I see LP. lets try that first Where is the low pressure regulater at? If outside,is it up out of the snow if inside it dont have a line on the vent side of it over 2 ft long?
You do have the right size pipe from the tank to the furnace?

You can have a good blue flame on the burners and all of the above wrong and not get the heat. Dont care how cold it is I like to see 11" W/C at the unit with all other gas units there on at the same time.

ED