Air flow basics

Old 02-02-04, 07:09 PM
byu86
Visiting Guest
Air flow basics

I would like to know the basics of air flow to help me make better choices with my duct size choice when adding to a systyem to heat a basement I am finishing. All of my current runs are 6 inch duct and I will be adding 3 more runs and three drops from the main square ducts which lead from the furnace.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-04, 09:41 PM
binford
Visiting Guest
You can download for free Wright soft HVAC software that might help. It's a demo version. You can buy load calc software that will give you this info, but it $49.00 hvac-calc.com
Air flows best when there are gentle turns and smooth transitions. When cutting a hole into the main duct. If you can cut a bigger hole, say 8" and then use a reducer down to 6" this will allow the air to flow out of the main duct easier.

Old 02-03-04, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Duct work

Go over to www.llbuildingproducts.com and go to ductwork there it will tell you all about the duct set up and its free.

Any 6" takeoff from a duct will have a bigger hole on the end that goes into the duct. A round 6" take off has a 8"round that goes into the duct. On the new runs for the basement take them to about 12" off the outside wall and blow down with them. ED