Ducts expanding, creaking floors

Old 02-03-04, 08:16 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ducts expanding, creaking floors

Hi,
A friend of mine bought a townhouse a year ago, she loved it until the first winter. When the heat comes on, her house creaks and pops, especially in her bedroom. I've heard it & it was very annoying - kept her up some nights. She tried various things to eliminate the noise, mostly by driving speciality nails through the floor, but it didn't work.

She is having some kitchen work done this week and when they tore out the kitchen ceiling (which is below her bedroom), they saw that the builder had run round duct work perpendicular through the joists. From what I gather from her description, they drilled large holes through the joists and laid the ducts through the holes. When the ceiling was exposed, she jammed some foam between the duct and the joist and viola!, the noises stopped (at least in that room). Needless to say, she is very happy to find the source, unfortunately it needs to be done all throughout the house but the worst spot has been identified.

My question is, what would be the best material to use to stuff between the ducts & the joist hole? I've seen foam disintegrate over time (like the foam used for mattresses) and while the ceiling is exposed (2 more days), I'd like to suggest something else. I imagine it shouldn't be to stiff to allow for expansion and ideally it would be something that we could pick up at a HD or Lowes, as they are nearby.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-04, 08:24 AM
Lightbulb Noise

You can try just the fiberglass insulation and push it in there.; Id think how much of the joist did they cut out for this round pipe also ??????? ED

Old 02-03-04, 08:51 AM
B
How much did they cut out indeed! I'm going over there tonight to look, she wasn't sure of the diameter of the duct or the hole. BTW, I know a cut-out for electricity has to be a certain distance from the front of the stud (for nailing purposes), is this an issue w/ ducts as well? Also, how much of a joist can be cut away without damaging the structural integrity of the joist?

Thanks a lot, we'll try insulation & I'll let you know.

Bob

Old 02-03-04, 09:02 AM
Lightbulb code

As long as its open nowand you can see it. Id call code and see what you can cut out of a joist there. I know its not much. ED