Air filter confusion???

Old 02-04-04, 07:26 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air filter confusion???

I'm really confused...just bought a house with a two-year Lennox gas furnace (Merit product line). I can't seem to get anyone to tell me what type of filter to use, ie pleated, washable, or some other type. I called both a local dealer and Lennox directly, and all I was able to get from them was that I should not use the cheap fiberglass filter or a "restrictive" pleated filter. They also recommended an electronic cleaner with a one-year filter, but that costs big $$. I just need a simple filter that will not restrict the airflow. We don't have issues with allergies or special requirements for the family member.

I looked into the 3M pleated "Filterte" products. Lennox tells me these are too restrictive, and that I should buy the "simple, pleated" filter at the hardware store. They could not tell me what type or brand name, but again, told me not to buy something too restrictive and that it should have a MERV rating of 9 or better.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
tom

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-04, 08:54 AM
Filters

What ever you do dont go for that electronic one . People dont keep them clean so they dont work over half the time. A low end pleated filter and there is a filter spray that you can put on them on the intake side very light , this works good. Put a new one in every 30 to 90 days for heat and cool.Dont get the washable kind they dont stop the dirt to good. You can also look at Purolator filters ED

Old 02-04-04, 09:54 AM
T
thank u sir...will buy the cheap pleated type.

Old 02-04-04, 12:19 PM
M
"A low end pleated filter and there is a filter spray that you can put on them on the intake side very light , this works good"

What does the filter spray do/what is it called?

Also, why do they recommend you not use the cheap fiberclass type filters? Is this not recommended for any type of system, or do you have some high end system?

Just curious and wondering if I should change filter type.

Old 02-04-04, 01:32 PM
Filter

It puts like a lite coat of oil on them. Years back when you got a new fliter your hands would get oil on them when you put them in. Now you dont One name is Filter Coat another one is PuraClean they say that they collects dust ,pollen ,mold, allergens and other airborne particles lots of places have some kind of this spray.Try the low end pleated filter and see how it does for you.Years back Lennox had a roll filter when you would pick it up your hands where full of an oil like

The cheap ones are very dry and open so a lot of dust gets through it.If it does the next filter you have lets say is the AC coil now this is wet when the AC is on so any dirt that gets through the cheap filter or any other one will end up on that coil. Then the coil gets blocked and the air cant get through. Then you call a tech cause you dont have any heat or cool. So try and put a new one in every 30 to 90 days heat and cool. It pays ED

Old 02-04-04, 02:53 PM
T
marc:

They don't recommend the fiberglass and washable type because they are too "unrestrictive" - meaning pretty much everything gets through. On the other hand, they also don't recommend the high end, restrictive, pleated ones (3M brand) because they are too restrictive and impact air flow and put too much load on the system. I'm just trying to find a happy medium some place. From my research, filter choice appears to be a highly debatable subject.

Comments??

Old 02-13-04, 06:35 PM
I would recommend the Filtrete 600 by 3M. This is a pleated dust and pollen filter with a MERV 8 rating. It is non-restrictive and recommended for high velocity equipment.

Old 02-14-04, 07:52 AM
For filters I also say Purolator Extended they come in 1" 2" or 4" thick. ED

Old 02-14-04, 09:13 AM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
restriction

restriction is a problem with what is refered to as the temperature rise, and can easily be measured if you have a temperature probe. Locate the high limit and you can usually remove one of the mounting screws that secure it, and insert the probe there. As long as you don't reach the temp stamped on it ,i.e.(L140-30), it won't trip out on safety. Measure the return and supply air temp difference and compare it to the parameters on the furnace data plate on the unit. You should be about 5 degrees above the halfway point.
The more pleats usually means a larger surface area, and less restriction, unless they use a tighter material,... but generally, its the same stuff but more of it, folded more times. The filter tray that accepts 2 inch filters is the best....use them when you can. Most two inch trays have a divider in the middle (making them a 1" inch tray) that is easily removed. The oil spray is unnecessary and messy. Unless you have those aluminum screen type fresh air damper screens, use it on the aluminum ones ifyou wish...
If you can only use the fiberglass cheapies, filter spray them, and change often!

Old 02-16-04, 06:07 AM
T
hvac01453:

Thanks for your suggestion, but sounds too complicated for me to use the temp probe, etc. I also don't have the instrument.

Does "MERV" have anything to do with "restriction", or is this simply an "efficiency" rating? Home Depot sells the 3M brand (deemed too restrictive for my Lennox furnace) and another pleated filter from Precisionaire, with a 8 merv rating. I'm not sure whether I should try this particular brard. Again, Lennox suggest I use a "high velocity", low "restriction" filter and recommend a "generic" , cheap pleated filter.

Also, does using the cheap fiberglass filter "hurt" the furnace, ie AC coils, etc.??

Any suggestions?

Old 02-16-04, 06:52 AM
Id go for the cheap pleated filters, add a light filter coat to them on the intake side and a new one every 30 days heat and cool. it dont hurt the furnace or AC coil. What hurts them is when you let the filter get so much dirt in it that the air can get through . Or you get a dirt build up on the wet AC coil ED

Old 02-16-04, 06:11 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Pleats

HD sells the el-cheapo pleats for about $4.00 ea.... try one ! If it's too restrictive, your only out $4.00!

Old 05-05-04, 11:41 PM
4" pleated

Check into getting the return modified to accept a standard 4" pleated filter.