Heater stays on

Old 02-05-04, 07:38 AM
rs820
Visiting Guest
Heater stays on

Last night when I went home, it was 80 degrees inside, with the heat set at 70. I turned the thermostat off, the fan and heat continued to run. I then turned off the breaker, then turned the breaker back on, and the fan (don't know about the heat) continued to run. It is electric central heat and a/c unit, fairly old. I bought the house a year ago so should I replace the thermostat first, or call the repairman?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-04, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it a heat pump as well?

Turn off the power, and remove the T-stat..

Make notes on what wire goes to where!

Then undo the wire from the sub-base, and conntect R and W wires together.. Go turn on the power, and see what happens.

If the system runs, then undo the R and W wire.. It should shut off.

If it shut off, then it's the t-stat.
~~~~~~~~~~~

If it don't shut off. then you need to trace back where the problem maybe.

THen leave the t-stat wire apart.. go into the furnace/air handler and look for the t-stat wire going into the unit.. Undo the R and W wire there.. (you may have a blower door safty switch, press the switch or tape it.)

if the system dont run then, you may have a bad t-stat wire.

If it runs, then a relay maybe stuck 'on"

Old 02-06-04, 08:22 AM
I think you should call a tech in to look at it. Dont run out and buy a tstat first. Can be relays in the unit. You said old , some of the old units had a relay that works like an amprobe in them . If a heat relay stuck on that in turn would also keep the blower on. If you can you could take and hit the side of the unit hard with your hand and see if it shuts off. Filter clean ?? ED

Old 02-06-04, 09:01 AM
rs820
Visiting Guest
Last night, all I did was take the cover off the thermostat, set it so that it would not click on when I turned the power back on. With the power on, it did not click on (which was right). I then reset the thermostat to turn on with the auto function. Through the night, the unit turned on and off, just like nothing was wrong.

Before I left home today, I turned the unit off at the thermostat, so hopefully over the course of the next few days, I can see if it goes haywire again.

Old 02-06-04, 09:15 AM
tstat

If its on again .Like jay said just pull the W off the tstat and see if it stops in a while if not pull W2 if a heat pump and see if that will stop it.
If this is a heat pump You dont save that much with a set back tstat. It just takes to long for the pick up and most of the time the strip heaters came on so it cost you more in fuel ED