furnace efficiency

Old 02-05-04, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
furnace efficiency

I just moved into a house at the start of december and just recieved my first gas bill. I know that it cant be compared with other places but anyways the total for just the gas itself was about 100$ a month plus all the fees for delivery based on the gas usuage etc.

Anyways the furnace I have is at least 30 years old and the house is only 40 so I think it is probably the original. If I upgrade to a high efficiency furnace approximently how much % of gas would a new furnace user compared to the old one.

I also have a gas HWT that is 6 years old that uses some of the gas.

Also I just replaced the furnace filter that was clogged beyond belief, the old owners never cleaned anything. Would this increase the efficiency because the airflow is greater or does this not help?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-04, 09:46 AM
Exclamation %%%%

First If the filter was that bad I would look farther. Check the blower there the blades on it are like cupped a little. Clean them out when they are full of dirt and flat like, they dont blow as they should.

Do you have a AC coil on top of the furnace? Is it clean? If this old furnace is clean and working good like it should . The AFUE on it should be around 65%. Now we have gas furnaces today that start at a AFUE of 80% and go on up to some units can go to 93% AFUE

One other thing to think of here is fuel cost. go to www.warnair.net and compare the fuel cost for where you live .

ED

Old 02-05-04, 02:56 PM
a dirty filter will cause you to burn more gas and get less heat

Old 02-07-04, 06:59 AM
A new furnace 90+ would pay for itself in fuel savings in probably 5 years compared to that 30 year old monster.

Eds finger must of slipped try www.warmair.net