circuit breaker and v/s furnace fan

Old 02-05-04, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
circuit breaker and v/s furnace fan

Hi,
I have noticed that for the last week my variable speed furnace fan seems to re running at around 50% of its speed that it normally ran under specific conditions. It is a Carrier FK4C v/s attached to a Thermidistat...Anyway around the time I noticed that it had slowed down I noticed that the 80 amp breaker that controls the furnace was somewhat out of kilter, i.e. it wasn't on and it wasn't off, but somewhere in between and it was buzzing..I clicked it back and forth into place, and since that time I noticed that it buzzed another time.
The electrician was over today and checked the breaker, and said it was defective....and I believe not carrying the proper amperage(?)....he ordered a new one, and thought that when it is replaced that should fix the problem? Do you think a faulty breaker can cause the variable speed fan to run at a lower speed than normal? I hope I explained myself properly. Thanks
George

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-04, 08:10 AM
I have found when you have a bad breaker. It can do a lot of thing to screw up the power to the units. ED

Old 02-06-04, 09:59 AM
yes, the vs motor is very much affected by an input voltage drop since it is run off dc voltage

Old 02-06-04, 11:02 AM
reply hvac4u

I appreciate you guys answrs and it takes alot of stress off of me, thinking about what the heck am I going to do out here in the country...so if I understand you correctly........
Right now there is a old circuit breaker in that is defective, but the fan is able to run off of it at a reduced speed...so the breaker can let some power through, but not enough to let the fan ramp up to normal limits....
The electrician had to order the 80 amp breaker, and will get it on Monday

semper fi......a very proud dad of a Marine Corps Sgt....recently honorably discharged

Old 02-06-04, 02:21 PM
amperage

The only thing I'm thiking is,...80 amp breaker??? Why is there an 80 amp breaker? This must be a heat pump with electric strip heaters! Your fan motor pulls maybe 5 amps...The electrician could check this easily by pulling out the breaker, wire it direct (or jump it), and let the service panel be the protection and put an ammeter on the line....if it still pulls excessive amps, it means something is array in the unit. I like to prove things defective, it tends to keep egg off your face.

Old 02-06-04, 02:25 PM

I have a separate circuit breaker for the heat pump(30amp), and the 80 amp breaker is for the v/s blower and there are 2 electric heat strips, one 5kw and one 10 kw.
Thanks
George