electric furnace

Old 02-10-04, 05:29 AM
frank997
Visiting Guest
Question getting power to electric furnace

My electric furnace is 9 years old made by Janitrol. The past year I have to turn the breaker off and on one time for the furnace to activate. I did replace the breaker one time and it makes no difference. The amperage rating for the breaker matches the furnace, so what else could this be? Now the darn thing don't even work at all now since Feburay 9, 2004. I need help on this since I am unemployed and short on funds. Thanks for any response.

Last edited by frank997; 02-10-04 at 05:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-04, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this just the electric is used for your heat, or you have a heat pump for your main, and the electric as your back up?

The relay may be sticking and not closing.. Does the fan turn on right away when call it calls for heat? Fan work at all?

Old 02-10-04, 09:42 AM
Do you have a meter that you can read the voltage in the unit and tell us what you have?Do you have a small test light .like do you have 24 volts and 220 volts there. Could it be the blower fan there in the unit that took the breakes out before. Does it hum??? Do you know how to work on electric here at all????? If so we can try and help .

The past year I have to turn the breaker off and on one time for the furnace to activate. I did replace the breaker one time and it makes no difference. The amperage rating for the breaker matches the furnace, so what else could this be?
Just one time??? why the new breaker for just one time??

ED

Old 02-10-04, 10:57 AM
frank997
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Ed Imeduc
Do you have a meter that you can read the voltage in the unit and tell us what you have?Do you have a small test light .like do you have 24 volts and 220 volts there. Could it be the blower fan there in the unit that took the breakes out before. Does it hum??? Do you know how to work on electric here at all????? If so we can try and help .

Just one time??? why the new breaker for just one time??

ED
Well as I was waiting for a reply, Iwas thinking about the syptoms it had for the past year. I rebuild starters years back and when the coils in a solenoid get weaker, it takes more voltage to kick the solenoid out. Therefore I dug into the transformer and that was my problem. It would not put out no more than 4.5 volts. Thank you for all your replys to me. If anyone needs help on automotive starters and D.C. motors up to 48 volts, give me a ring. THANKS Frank

Old 02-10-04, 11:45 AM
frank997
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Jay11J
Is this just the electric is used for your heat, or you have a heat pump for your main, and the electric as your back up?

The relay may be sticking and not closing.. Does the fan turn on right away when call it calls for heat? Fan work at all?
I found out what the problem was. It was the 24 volt transformer. While i was waiting for a reply I realized (from rebuilding auto starter solenoids) that when a coil gets weak, it takes more voltage to make it work. If it does not work with more voltage, it is burned out or opened. I tested it, and showed less than 4.5 vot output.I got a new one, and now the furnace runs like a dream. Thanks for the reply all of you.
If you need help with any DC volt motors.... Give me a yell. Frank

Old 02-10-04, 03:16 PM
Glad you found it I do hope you put in a24 volt 40VA or 50VA transformer you need it that big to pull all the relays in

keep your eye on the car post here go look for it you can help some one out there. If you need heat or cool come back to us here.

ED

Old 02-10-04, 03:38 PM
frank997
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Jay11J

Hi Jay and thanks for responding. No there is no heat pump, just a Janitrol electric furnace. It has no central air to it neither. I had tested the transformer on it and it showed it was bad. I had replaced that today, and it ran fine for four hours. Now it does the same thing it has done before. I still have to flip the breaker off & on to make the furnace work. I am not a heating & cooling man but do you think its a relay or what they call syncronizers that may be weak, bad, or just shorting out? Any response again is welcomed. Thanks, Frank.

Old 02-10-04, 03:41 PM
frank997
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Ed Imeduc
Glad you found it I do hope you put in a24 volt 40VA or 50VA transformer you need it that big to pull all the relays in

keep your eye on the car post here go look for it you can help some one out there. If you need heat or cool come back to us here.

ED
Hi Ed, and thanks for responding. No there is no heat pump, just a Janitrol electric furnace. It has no central air to it neither. I had tested the transformer on it and it showed it was bad. I had replaced that today, and it ran fine for four hours. Now it does the same thing it has done before. I still have to flip the breaker off & on to make the furnace work. I am not a heating & cooling man but do you think its a relay or what they call syncronizers that may be weak, bad, or just shorting out? Any response again is welcomed. Thanks, Frank.