Heater not Responding to Thermostat

Old 02-10-04, 11:45 AM
tclyndell
Visiting Guest
Heater not Responding to Thermostat

I have notice a problem with my heater not responding to my thermostat recently because my house is colder then expected in the mornings. When I raise the temperature on the thermostat and nothing happens. The heater doesn't kick in. However, at some time it does appear to come on, but that is much later then expected. The cooling part of the thermostat works fine.

I changed the thermostat yesterday and the problem still exist. I went from a hunter to a honeywell thermostat.

As I was replacing the old thermostat and tagging the wires, I noticed one odd thing, which was all the wires were connected as prescribe but one, with was the blue wire from the wall was connected to the white wire on the thermostat while the white wire was not connected to anything. The white wire was just flapping. I connected the new thermostat just like old thermostat was connected. So to sum up the wiring:

r to r
g to g
y to y
blue to w
w to nothing

What should I do? What other things should I be aware of?

Thanks well in advance!!!

TC Lyndell

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-04, 12:47 PM
What Honeywell tstat-----

You have to look in the unit and see what the white wire goes to.

R is power

Rh is heat transformer

Rc is cool transformer

W heating load

Y compressor

G fan

W2 2nd stage heat

Y2 2nd stage cool

Look at other things before the tstat most of the time its not that. If you put R and W or what is heat together the furnace should come on . Try it and see ED

Old 02-10-04, 04:05 PM
Like Ed said, if there is no wire connected to the W terminal, you will not have any heat. It would help us to know if you have warm air heat or hot water. One zone or more. Gas, oil, electric. More info gets more helpful tips.

Old 02-10-04, 06:01 PM
tclyndell
Visiting Guest
It's a gas furnace with one zone (the whole house). When the heat does come on, it's warm air.

As for the Thermostat, it's a Honeywell CT3500/CT3595.

That's really about it.

thanks...

Old 02-10-04, 06:15 PM
If the system has air conditioning, you will need the Y and G terminals. If it is only a furnace as you say, The only wires you need to heat the house are R and W. That may not correspond to the wire color because sometimes people don't bother following color codes. I guess it makes life interesting. If you look at the furnace, you should be able to see where the wires go and if you relay that information to us, we can help put this puzzle together. As I said earlier, if you don't have a wire on the W terminal, you will not get any heat from the furnace because the R terminal must send power back to the furnace on the W wire to make heat.

Old 02-10-04, 08:00 PM
tclyndell
Visiting Guest
I checked the wiring at the furnace and found that it is connected properly, however the furnace isn't responding to the thermostat.

There is an air conditioning unit attached.

Old 02-10-04, 08:06 PM
If you refer to your first post and remember I told you that the W terminal needs to be used for any heat, you have the answer. When you said that the wiring is connected properly, it should be easy then to connect it properly on the thermostat as per Ed's post.

Old 02-11-04, 02:49 AM
tclyndell
Visiting Guest
Roger that... guys thanks for you help... all is well...