Does furniture inches in front of baseboards block much heat?

Old 02-11-04, 05:00 PM
russi
Visiting Guest
Does furniture inches in front of baseboards block much heat?

Hi.

We heat with gas through baseboards. And while gas rates have increased 25% the last 3 years, our bill is doubled! Even with keeping heat on 62 to 66 degrees most of the day and night. Other times, at 68 for maybe a few hours of 24.

My wife and I disagree as to the impact the following would have on the bill:

In most rooms of the house, furniture is in front of all or most of the baseboards. It is approx. 3-5 inches from them, but obviously are much higher than the baseboards.
The impact on gas used?

Also if the furnace filter has not been changed or a wrap put on it what difference would it make?

Thank you very much.

Russ I.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-04, 08:44 PM
If you have warm air heat, the air flows from areas of high pressure to low pressure. It will find its way from the supply register into the room and eventually to the return grille. Unless you totally block the air, it will work fine. The air filter is a little more important. Not necessarily on fuel consumption but comfort. If you install an air filter that is too restrictive to air flow, it will prevent proper heating and cooling of the house. If you aren't having that problem now, I guess it isn't an issue. It is important to close storm windows if you have them and seal out the elements as best you can. There is no reason for the high consumption that points to your furnace based on the info ou provided.

Old 02-12-04, 10:41 AM
Also if the furnace filter has not been changed or a wrap put on it what difference would it make?

Its like Ken said there. That filter you have should be change every 30 to 90 days. This can sure cost you more gas. Is the AC coil clean if you have one? The blower blades clean. You don t say Lp or Nat gas . But when was the last time the burners where cleaned and set. Is the gas pressure up to what it should be. If not you can burn more gas for less heat out of it ED

Old 02-12-04, 07:33 PM
How old of a system do you have??

Now think, gas prices has gone up alot over the last couple of years.

Like the rest of the guys has said, make sure your filters are clean. When was the last time you has a cleaning done to your urnace?

have other gas appliances in your home?? Flushed your water heater? Water temp around 120?