wall furnace-sooted firebox

Old 02-15-04, 12:15 PM
dieseldespot
Visiting Guest
How do I clean sooted firebox-Gas wall furnace

Need to remove and clean a sooted firebox on a gas wall heater. The vent to the roof is OK, but the flame is smothering, a mild odor of partially burned hydrocarbons has begun, and the Gas Company tells me the firebox is the problem. I would like to do it myself, if anybody could give me simple text instructions.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-04, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First Id ask how did it get this way???????? LP or nat gas ??
pressure ok??

With gas off power off just vacuum it all down there . Make sure and vacuum out the venturi on the burners real good and the top of the burners.Take a coat hanger and run it up in the heat exchanger. After your done and light it up . Get what is called Chimney Sweep and use it like it will say on the can.ED

Old 02-16-04, 09:07 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: dieseldespot

The burner should not be burning with yellow flames. The air intake may be clogged with lint and dust restricting air intake into the burners venturi.

The firebox may may collapsed or distorted internal baffels. If such is the case, the firebox is a hazard because it cannot draft air into the box to vent the fumes out.

That lack of air flow caused by the baffles causes the flames to smother, producing incomplete combustion which in turn causes the yellow flames and soot.

All conditions you described are very hazardous and producing high volumes of carbon mononxides. The flue may be clean but the firebox internally is defective. Replacement of the firebox, if available, is the only safe solution.

Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Serivces. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.