1969 "Mid-rise" Apt Building Baseboard Electric

Old 02-20-04, 02:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question 1969 "Mid-rise" Apt Building Baseboard Electric

Heating system. The Thermostats are contemporary Bryant units with round "click stop" dial adjust on bottom(heat-only tstats.)

?: How can I get inside these things and check how filthy the wiring/sensors are?? I've already cleaned most of the insides of the radiators, but I know the 'stats sensitivity is being thrown off by who knows what grime inside them.

Thanks for any suggestions, but even a single digit CT January should not cost $180 to keep apartment around 68F!

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-04, 06:59 AM
I am sure you just have to grasp the cover, and pull outwards. I haven't seen or heard of the Bryan brand electric baseboard.

Have you removed the covers and made sure the coil are clear?

Making sure there is an opening on the bottom of the unit to allow air flow? (some time thick carpet blocks the air flow)

Old 02-22-04, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 5
Question More info please???

Here is where to go for what we need to know.
Not exactly sure what type of heating it is. Electric baseboard???
What is "contemporary" to you may not be on the other side of the continent.

First if it is electric baseboard the thermostat won't affect your heating cost as electric heat is 100% efficient. As long as it is maintaining the desired temp it will be out of the problem loop.

Give us a detailed description of your apt and heating system and maybe someone can come up with something a bit more definite.

Old 02-24-04, 11:44 AM
Guys guys guys it's real simple: Only the thermos say "Bryant" on them. Heck knows who mfgd the baseboard, I don't know! But I gottem all cleaned up, inside & out.

And yes, "clean" thermostat innards and radiators, electric or not, DO effect the sensitivity of the thermostats and thus the efficiency of the whole system.

"Contemporary", FYI = "of the time period". These thermostat covers have so much paint layered up around the edges they must have come with the building.

So back to my original question:

Has anyone seen the type of thermostats I'm talking about and how d'you uncover the critters?? I already tried pulling and all that does is pull the sheetrock along with the device.

Next at bat??

-Chris

Old 02-24-04, 04:20 PM
Did you run a sharp knife all around to cut all that paint then the cover could come off and not the drywall???? $180 for 68o hey its been cold last month. ED

Old 02-24-04, 04:34 PM
Yep. It's too bad I can't post a picture of this thermostat - it's over 30 yrs old. There seems to be a screw on the top(inside the cover) and one on the bottom, also inside, but these look like they adjust something other than how the thing is mounted to the wall.