furnace filter

Old 02-23-04, 09:50 AM
btjohnson911
Visiting Guest
furnace filter

i purchased a house last august and it has a York Stellar gas furnace. recently, the furnace does not seem to run as it should. this morning the temp in the house was down to 57 deg. i reset the thermostat and now it seems to be working. i was reading the postings on this website this morning and wanted to check the furnace filter, but now i cant find one. im not an idiot, it should be near where the main return connects to the furnace unit, at least all my other furnaces did. any ideas? thanks, brian

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-04, 09:59 AM
You dont say: Do you have just one cold air return grill? some times the filter is in there. You have to find it for sure. If you try and take off the blower door when the blower is on is it hard to pull open? Also look for a filter in there. Do you have a AC coil on this furnace. The air filter's should be changed every 30 to 90 days. ED

Old 02-23-04, 11:14 AM
btjohnson911
Visiting Guest
furnace filter

i guess my reply didnt come through. there is an AC unit outside, but i dont know what an AC coil would look like in the furnace. ive carefully looked at the return ducts and all around the main return trunk, but there is no slot for a filter. im not sure where to look inside the unit itself, but it would seem rather unlikely that a filter would be located inside the furnace unit itself, as it would be difficult for many homeowners to easily access and change the filter. im not sure about the blower door. where would that be located? i can remove the access panel for access to the pilot light and electrical connections. there is a panel below that, but it has to have screws removed to access it. in my experience, the filter slot is easily accessible and not that hard to locate.

Old 02-23-04, 11:46 AM
Ok you have AC there should be 2 copper lines one small And one big that go from the outside unit and in to the A coil there on top of the furnace. Did you look around the home do you have just one cold air return. If so could be the filter is right in it.

Also turn the furnace off and take the bottom panel off and look in there for the filter could be. Some furnaces you have to unscrew screws to get to the blower and where the filter is inside it ED

Old 02-23-04, 12:15 PM
btjohnson911
Visiting Guest
furnace filter

ok ed, got past the "this would be stupid" notion and removed the lower panel door and viola! there it was. a non-disposable filter that needed some cleanin'! dont know if that was the problem originally, the thermostat reset seemed to fix that, but at least now i can do regular cleaning on the filter. it was just inside the lower unit where the cold air is fed. took it out and cleaned it so at least when the furnace DOES work it will be more efficient.

thanks for the help, sir!