CSD-1 Gas Train valving requirements

Old 02-28-04, 06:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CSD-1 Gas Train valving requirements

Does anyone know of any code requirements on union placement under CSD-1 valving on boilers?
Unions are not required on this valve train, but (BUT) usually installed for ease of maintenance in removing gas safety valves or related pressure components.
The problem I have ran into is I have a property with 2 4.5MBTU hot water generators that have unions installed ahead of the main line shutoff to the valve train. The gas trunk has to be depressurized, disassembled, and then capped to do any work involving the boilers which requires the gas train to be removed. (I'm in the process of moving the unions to after the valves)
These are Burnham cast iron sectional boilers and the valve train for 1 boiler was in the way to fix a leak, guess what we discovered?
In looking at CSD-1 or NFPA 85, union placement is not addressed. In looking at National Fuel Code, there are several specific locations addressed for specific equipment installationd and a reference in Appendex B.
Common sense should tell me that this is addressed somewhere in all the pages of coding. Any ideas or referrences?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-04, 05:08 AM
Don't know if there may be a local code in your area but I'll dig in my national books today and see if I find anything. But you would think after the shut off is where you would want it for ease of service.

Old 03-01-04, 10:59 AM
here in georgia it is code to put a cutoff before the union. or a union after the cutoff, depending on how you are looking at it

Old 03-01-04, 04:14 PM
Sorry but I was the only tech that showed up for work today. 1 had to attend a funeral and the other somehow harbored a guy that shot his mother and was held by police. I will have to get the rest of that story tomorrow. Any way had a rooftop unit go out and an ice maker so I had no lunch and not a chance to check any regs. I'll try again tomorrow.

Old 03-01-04, 04:31 PM
Dont have the book here but in Missouri also. Gas shut off valve then the union. In some small towns there code had it that the shut off had to also be ahead of the stand pipe thenT to the union going to the valve.How else can you change out a gas valve on a furnace or clean the stand pipe ? ED

Old 03-01-04, 05:24 PM
Ease of maintenance for valve replacement or regulator change out would come to mind on this valve train.
4 inch line off a 12" feed, yeah, it's a pain in the a** to see how this was installed and passed. It's a substancial hazard to open this line in a somewhat confined space.
There is also a 11.5 MBTU Keewanee boiler in this plant that has flanged fittings just where you would expect them. After the gas shut off so I can install a gas valve with proof of closure over seal. This boiler was installed in 1969 and has held up pretty well over the years.

I haven't checked the mechanical - building codes but I would expect this to be addressed in the codes somewhere.

This is the one time I wish I had a digital camera for some interesting pics.