flames from gas wall heater!!!

Old 03-05-04, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
flames from gas wall heater!!!

Help, please! In my house is an old (30 years or so) gas-powered wall heater that has been working fine. But for the last few months, when it starts up, it takes a little longer than usual to light and a ball of yellow flame spits out from the area of the pilot area. I feel pretty sure it's just a matter of adjusting the position of the pilot flame, but I want to make sure. Any ideas/input would be appreciated. Thanks - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-04, 06:48 AM
Could be it just needs a good cleaning in the burners and pilot there. Also might have the gas regulator looked at for the W/C at the burner. You might want to call a tech to look at it and clean the burners ,pilot and up in the venturi of the burners. ED

Old 03-05-04, 06:56 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: CMil

Couple of things you can do to see if it helps.

Buy a can of compressed computer cleaner. Turn off the pilot at the control and the burner at the control or wherever either are located. Some units have two seperate places.

Once the unit cools down, blow out the pilot assembly. (use the plastic extension from the can) Insert it into every hole and place on the assembly to clear out the lint and dust.

Than do like wise to the burner. Blow down into the slots or holes in the burner head where the flames appear. Clean out all dust in the burner area below it and the controls. A moist rag often works best in this area.

Once all that is done and you are sure no dust or lint remains, relight the pilot and turn the control back to the on position. Allow the burner to fire up and note the results.

Check back on your question several more times. Other heating professionals may also post additional advice and helpful suggestions.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Business Management Service. Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 03-05-04, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the tips, guys. question for Ed Imeduc: you mention having the regulator looked at for the W/C at the burner. What is this W/C you speak of? All the other tips I will try as soon as I get home from checking on a friend. Update to follow. Thanks again - Chris

Old 03-05-04, 08:53 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: CMil

W/C is the industry term for water (WC) column. Pertains to the a measurement of small amounts of gas pressure.

There are two measurements of w/c. Static and flow. Static pressure is the amount of pressure into the regulator from the gas supply pipe. Flow is the amount out of the regualtor ( usually an intergal part within the control) while the burner is on.

Not something I suggest checking as a do it yourself task or by the non professional. If there is a need to check the w/c, have it done by the gas supplier or a professional heating agent or service person.

Try all the other so it yourself suggestions. Chances are the problem lies in the cleaning process. Always use caution during any process other than normal operation.

Old 03-05-04, 11:32 PM
Cleaning was a snap and did the trick! The burner was half-covered with various bits of debris, and there was dust all over the place behind the cover. Vacuumed it out and, voila, no more fire-belching heater! Ed: the explanation of w/c made perfect sense; since everything seems to be working fine now, I don't think presure is a problem, but I'll file that for future reference. Thanks again for all the help and advice - Chris

Old 03-06-04, 05:18 AM
While you were cleaning, I hope you clean the fan and filter (If you have one) and oil the moter.

Old 03-06-04, 11:47 AM
Nope, no fan or motor. it's an OLD Williams radiant heater.