Furnace filters and A/C q's...

Old 03-07-04, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace filters and A/C q's...

I just changed my furnace filters, are there different filters for the A/C? I have central air and the A/C "box" (Big giant fan) is outside on the side of the house. I am a first home owner and dont have all the knowledge I need...thanks in advance...

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-04, 06:05 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Dan

Usually only one filter beneath the blower in a vertical unit. One in the intake ducting for a horizontal furnace.

You mentioned filters, as in pural, multiple filters? Some older units did have multiple filters. Up at the A/C coils. Also units with multiple intakes. Is that what is meant by filters?

Usually ther is not seperate filters for the A/C in a dual pack. (combo heating and A/C unit) The unit outside is the cooling fan for the A/C coils only. No filter there. Cleaning does help...

Old 03-07-04, 06:20 PM
2 filters....

The house was built in 93 and the heater is a upright and above the blower are 2 filters leaning from the middle out \ / like that ...is this wrong?

Old 03-08-04, 06:11 AM
You dont say what furnace you have there. But look at the filter rack there it should like show you how they go in. Most of the time when you have 2 frilters there they go in like /\ . look and see how the frame for them works. Be sure and change them every 30 to 90 days for heat and AC. Also before you turn the AC on go out and with a small stick give that fan there a push to see that the fan blades are clear. Some times bugs get in and can lock up the fan and when you turn it on it can burn out the fan motor. Thats why to just see if it spins ok . You can take a water hose and just hose out the coil on the outdoor unit power off and see that it is clear and no bushes around it for 18" or more so it can get air. ED

Old 03-08-04, 07:08 AM
What brand of furnace do you have?

Is it an up flow or downflow?

Old 03-08-04, 04:51 PM
Its a Day & Night brand, I have no idea if its up or down flow...i Just replaced the filters that came out the same way...is there a way I can tell? I can send pictures if you like...thanks again...

Old 03-08-04, 05:12 PM
Sounds like you have a counter flow blowing down. With the furnace set on top of the AC coil. Are you on a slab or over a crawl space here. What ever just keep the filters clean. ED

Old 03-08-04, 05:46 PM
Its in the garage (upright) if thats what you mean, so the airflow should be pointing outwards on both filters? When we had the house inspection we had the furnace serviced and filters changed and thats how they were put in.....one pointing out and one pointing in....doesnt make sense to me but thats why im here!

Old 03-08-04, 08:08 PM
A picture would be nice if you can do it.. This web server won't allow you to do a pix posting, so you will have to post it else where and link us to it.

Old 03-08-04, 08:36 PM
Old 03-09-04, 06:28 AM
I cant get the pic to come up. Is the home on a slab or crawl space? Do you have registers in the floor and heat comes out of them??? Or heat come out of registers in the ceiling?? ED

Old 03-09-04, 07:02 AM
The pictures didn't come up either on my end. (Wrong web address?)

From what you've said, sounds like the filter is set up right if it's a down flow ( V )

Make sure your filter arrows are pointing down to the blower.

Old 03-09-04, 06:50 PM
The home is on a crawl space, the downstairs have the vents in the floor..upstairs they are in the ceiling...I think I figured out the down flow on the vent and have the filters in correct now..thanks again you guys are great...

Old 03-10-04, 06:48 AM
Hope you have a good 6 mil poly down on the ground in that crawl space. ED