Duel Zone (basement/first floor)

Old 03-08-04, 01:11 PM
terrapinct
Visiting Guest
Duel Zone (basement/first floor)

Is it possible to have a thermostat in the basement and first floor running off the same zone?

The heating registers in the basement run off of the 1st floor ducts, so to get heat in the basement you have to walk up stairs to turn on the heat. I'd like to install a thermostat in the basement so I can turn the heat on from there.

Can I just buy a thermostat and run wire to the furnace and connect it to where the first floor is connected?

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-04, 04:32 AM
It could be done but you would have to have a switch in there to switch between the two stats.

Old 03-09-04, 06:14 AM
Sure can get a T 87 tstat for down and like matt said a switch. Get a on/on DPDT thats a Double Pole Double Throw. This way what every you want up or down can control the heat. ED

Old 03-09-04, 07:29 AM
terrapinct
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys!

So, if I go to an HVAC supplier, they should know what an T87 thermostat and a Double Pole Double Throw is - right? ....Because I have no idea!

Also, is this set-up difficult to connect for a DIYer? I'm generally pretty good at most DIY type stuff.

Thanks again!

Mike

Old 03-09-04, 08:53 AM
You should be able to do it ok thats a honeywell tstat the T 87.
So you would run the Red and White wire from the furnace to the switch. Then from the switch the red and white to each tstat. This way the furnace will work on what ever tstat you have the switch turned to.
Turn off the power to the furnace when you do it. R is power and W is heat load. ED

Old 03-09-04, 09:52 AM
terrapinct
Visiting Guest
Great, thanks!!