price of gas furnace

Old 03-13-04, 12:29 PM
abemmy
Visiting Guest
price of gas furnace

Hi out there, I live in Toronto, Canada and have no idea what kind of price I would be looking at for a new forced air gas furnace. I live in a townhome that is 30 years old and still has the old furnace. What do all the efficiency ratings mean? How much would I expect to save in gas bills over the year? Please help me, no company wants to even give me a ball park figure.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-04, 01:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: abemmy

Energy efficiency labels are not easy to understand, granted. The labels are there to comply with the laws which do not state they must provide savings amounts.

They are there to provide customers with information that they have to obtain basically on there own. Many variables to consider.

However, the info the labels do contain info that can be helpful when used correctly.

A place that may help is the gas company in your area. They can provide the costs per therm of gas which is also on the billing statement. Or should be on yours as it is here in the states. Required by law.

No furnace company instructs it's franchised dealers to mention fuel cost savings. Even verbally. Has to do with the potentials for liabilities. Even as far featched as that seems, it is basically true.

Home construction, insulation and life styles vary widely. As does comfort levels. So fuel used to maintain any set temp will vary from one unit to another, etc. There is no set formular.

What you can do is compare you prior billing therms used and the cost per therm to figure closely what your savings will or could be. In which case you will need to do the math to determine potential cost savings, etc.

Regardless of what the math numbers reveal, allow for variables in weather temps in colder months and time durations during those months, etc. No two are exactly alike.

Furnace pricing is a whole different ball game. Supply and demand control pricing. Your control is to shop and compare. Keeping in mind price is not always the best factor to consider nor the only factor.

A quote I use often may help or shed some additional light on the subject of pricing.

"Alway's consider the warranties and future service needs for any major appliances you're considering to purchase. Price isn't always the best guide for long term appliance investments."

Hope some of this helps.

Old 03-14-04, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: price of gas furnace

Originally posted by abemmy
Please help me, no company wants to even give me a ball park figure.
Are you asking them for a ball park figure over the phone? They need to come out to the house and do it properly. Replacing a 30 year old furnace you should see a drop in your gas bill that's fairly noticable.
Before they come out make sure they are going to do a heat load/loss calculation on your home to properly size the system.