Runaway Electric Baseboard Heater

Old 03-16-04, 02:45 PM
JonBurrows
Visiting Guest
Runaway Electric Baseboard Heater

Wondering if anyone has heard of this problem....

I have electric baseboard heat throughout my house. I installed inline programmable thermostats about 4 years ago. A few days ago, the area lost power for about 4 hours (went off, then on, then off, then on, then finialy off). When the power was restored, it seems one 5' heater just wouldnt shut off. When I came home the room was about 85 degrees and the baseboard heater was too hot to touch. I shut the thermostat off and it appeared to have no control over the heater. I tried reseting the thermostat and that did the trick. I am a little concerned. I am thinking the issue is somehow tied to the power loss and surge? None of my other 6 thermostats acted this way.

Old 03-16-04, 04:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Anytime when the power goes on and off on and off like that you can bet that some one will have some trouble on or with something that was running and a surge then dont help.Thats like here its so bad that we put time delays on all the AC and lots of the fridges. Thats so it dont burn points or something else in the unit. I have to keep a small battery back up on the PC here not as to keep working but to not let the pc go on and off so much.
ED

Old 03-16-04, 04:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Jon

New T-Stats should not have internal contacts which would be prone to sticking together. New programable T-Stats have elecrtonic circuits which are sensitive to power fluctuations.

That T-Stat may or may not be damaged as a result of the power problem in that instance. Have that problem here to at times and like those Ed has. In the home state of the "Chad"..

Recks havic on computers and other electrical sensitive appliances as well as circuts. May be best to replace that T-Stat.

May also have caused some internal damage to any parts in the heater. Turn off the power to it once again and inspect it. May find burnt parts etc.

Run a few trials on the heater to insure best as possible it does infact operate as prior before allowing it to operate while not home or present at the time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: