furnace purchase ???

Old 03-17-04, 07:02 PM
furnace purchase ???

My natural gas furnace is 20 + years old, runs well today but its a pig' on fuel. I had an energy assessment done, windows/doors etc all fine, the overiding recommendation was to get a new furnace.

Want to go with a 2 speed for sure because I like the air circulation, but;

do I go with mid -efficiency or high efficiency...have heard some compelling evidence for either choice, but still don't know which way to go. With HE you need an outside vent (chimney will now only be used for gas hwt), with ME its less $ but is it compatible with hrvc which I am also considering.

Every salesperson has their perspective/suggestion, none are wrong, just asking for the best system for my home, (not the most $...not the cheapest $) can't seem to get a straight answer on this question.

What should the criterion be to get the best/most suitable system for this home...

As always appreciate the feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-04, 04:40 AM
The biggy is...Where are you located?
Where's the furnace going to be?

If you're in a area with cold winters a 90+ will pay for itself in a few years but if your warmer climate you may want to go with 80%.

Old 03-18-04, 05:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
"My Two Cents"

Hello: wendl

In the long run you're likely to come out ahead in savings. Likely but not positively nor are there any guaranties. What my be saved in fuel costs can be spent on service calls and parts.

New heaters or heaters and A/C combo units are very complex machines. Lots of electronic parts, safety devices and electrical systems, etc. Which require techs to disagnose problems and replace parts. Not all of which are inexpensive.

Might want to keep the current unit. Often times not worth fixing something if it isn't broke or in need of replacement. Depending upon the area and climate zone in your area, keeping the current unit may be the best choice for the time being.

Old 03-18-04, 10:57 AM
Wendl

Its all been asked here. Where are you for what you need in heat and cool.

The old furnace if cleaned belt checked pulleys good if thats what you have blower clean, filter clean. Blower on off set right. Burners clean and set right with good flame. Then it should be working around 65% AFUE or over some. So a new furnace starts out at a AFUE of 80%. Thats just 15% different so what will be the payback time. We have units now that go a AFUE of 93%. Its like with the AC if it wont run much get SEER 10 or 12 If it will run a lot you can go to a SEER of 16 to 19.50

Like sharp Advice Said Might look at the old one for now

What should the criterion be to get the best/most suitable system for this home...
Just what you will be happy with

+ My 02 cents make .04 cents