Furnace Vent

Old 04-03-04, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace Vent

Hi all,
I just purchased a home and I will be be doing many renovations in the comming months. In the past I have asked questions and have gotten really great advice and help here. thank you all.

The house is a colonial, built in the early 60's.

The 1st thing I want to do is an addition above the garage. Inside the garage and along the outside wall is a brick vent for the furnace. When I build this new room I dont want to box around the chimney. Can i remove it and have a thinner pipe inside the 2 x4 wall venting out.. I was living in a townhome and the furnance was gas fired and vented through the wall and attic and out the roof with a small pipe.

I hope Im making sense.

Any info please.

Thanks

Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-04, 01:37 PM
What you are after is the type B gas vent for gas furnaces. This also comes in an oval pipe for in the walls. We use that for like wall furnaces. I don't know if it comes in a bigger size to work on your furnace. Call around there and ask for type B vent and see. Or just the round vent pipe type B double wall only has to be 1" from combustible dont take a lot of room.
ED

Old 04-03-04, 01:51 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Anthony

You can replace the venting pipe for the furnace providing the diameter is not any smaller that that which is directly coming out the furnace.

The exisitng diameter is predetermined by the mfg to be the type and diameter needed to properly vent the fumes for that btu rating furnace.

The sloping upwards angle also needs to be maintained. Usually 1/2 per foot constant upwards angle. That allows and aids the hot fumes and gasses to vent easily, quickly and properly.

A ceiling bucket insulation part has to be installed where ever the hot metal venting pipe will be incontact with the ceiling and roofing.

The insulating bucket prevents the hot exhaust vent pipe from transfering it's heat to the surrounding flameable surfaces which in turns helps to prevent fires, etc.

All of which above and mentioned thus far in both replies are local area code requirements. Check with the building and safety departments in your area. Obtain the codes and adhere to all codes for personal and property safety.

Old 04-03-04, 04:59 PM
Thanks,

Ed & Sharp advice......I will check it out