Pilot Outage

Old 04-09-04, 06:41 AM
Jeff Lytle
Visiting Guest
It's getting cold in here !!

Woke this AM to find my 24 year old York Gas Furnace was not working.
The fan is ok, since it comes on when I switch the stat from auto to on.
Proplem seems to be the pilot was out. Relit it, and when I released the black valve, it went out again. I tried this 2 or 3 times without success. It lights, but will not stay lit when I release the valve.
Yes, it's old.........but in good shape. Gets two regular cleanings per year, which is more than I can say for my childrens rooms !!

Since it's Good Friday, I guess I'm pooched if I need parts........Any suggestions Boyz ??

Old 04-09-04, 07:05 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Jeff

Replace the thermocouple. Part should be available at most local hardware stores, likely to be opened today, good Friday or not.

Be sure to install the replacement thermocouple exactly as the current one is installed. Only real difference between thermocouples is the length.

The package comes with all the needed clips, etc. Follow the instructions. Also cleanout the pilot assembly.

Compressed air in a can works fine. Canned air is the product used to clean computer keyboards. Using it will work fine. Clean all holes and openings.

7/16 wrench works for removing and installing T-Couple nut into gas valve. Do not over tighten that nut. Hand start the threads to avoid cross threading the threads.

Old 04-09-04, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Go with what Sharp said. I would buy 2 t-couples because these usually go out in the middle of the night on a holiday or Sunday it seams.

Old 04-09-04, 07:39 AM
Jeff Lytle
Visiting Guest
DONE !! Our local Hardware was open ( WHEW ! )

That did the trick.

Thanks guys !!

Old 04-09-04, 07:51 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: Jeff

EXCELLENT! Hardware store opened, T-Couple replaced, Problem resolved. You got heat. Another "Happy DIY Camper"...

Thanks for posting the update. Enjoy the weekend.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: