Use furnace for cooling/filtering

Old 05-02-04, 02:15 PM
ET57
Visiting Guest
Question Use furnace for cooling/filtering

How do I use my gas furnace to keep air circulating and filtering in the summer without the furnace running? The temperature is not so extreme that I want to install AC, I just want to have cool clean air circulating to keep comfortable. I have a simple gas furnace with programmable thermostat, two wires going to the thermostat.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 05-02-04, 02:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say what furnace you have there. On some older ones look for the fan control and you can turn it on there on some . Look at the wire schemtic there on the funance and see where you can put a switch to turn the fan on. Or it might have a relay that will turn it on in the furnace now ??? Look around and see just what you have there and come back to this same post. Some one can help you then .

ED

Old 05-02-04, 02:48 PM
ET57
Visiting Guest
Wink My furnace is a

Weatherking acclaim II, about 6 years old. The thermostat is Honeywell/35.
That is what I was thinking of doing, just wiring a switch on the side to run power to the motor, leaving the furnace off. I had seen older gas furnaces that had a "summer cooling" switch inside. I thought this furnace may have that capability built in.
I want to keep it simple, without running new wires to the thermostat, if possible.

Thank again.

Old 05-02-04, 04:01 PM
Wink

Just look at the schemtic on the blower door and you should see where to put a hot wire to the blower motor with a switch there on the furnace.

ED

Old 05-02-04, 04:16 PM
ET57
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks

for the advice, will do!

Old 05-03-04, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wait!!!

Don't tap a hot wire into the blower!!!!

Just use low voltage wire, you will need to wire..

one wire connect to R then another wire to G on the fan control board. then hook the wire to a new switch on side of the furnace.

Old 05-03-04, 08:57 PM
ET57
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks Jay

I assume I can use a low voltage switch, like automotive grade.
Glad I wai ted!

Old 05-03-04, 09:27 PM
Any.

You can use any type of switch.. Toggle, Light..

I would use a box along with a face plate. That way you can write on the box Fan "on"-"Auto"

When you turn the switch to "On" the fan will run a higher speed than the heating speed. If you run the fan "ON' in the winter months, the fan will stay on high (Over rides the lower heating speed)..

If you do get Central A/C in your home, I would suggest to remove the box and you will be getting a new set of wires going up to the T-stat.

Old 05-04-04, 09:34 AM
Wink

Do you have a fan relay in the schemtic there on the furnace ? If so you can set the blower to what ever speed you want it on.

ED

Old 05-05-04, 10:51 PM
How difficult would it be to pull a new wire to the thermostat ?
That way you could use the fan switch and even program fan operation if your thermostat has that feature.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: