Slant Fin radiator cover removal?

Old 05-05-04, 05:31 PM
Ortem
Visiting Guest
Slant Fin radiator cover removal?

I'm trying to get to some old baseboard that looks like it hasn't been painted in decades, and I can't figure out how to remove these slant fin covers.

In many places the nails holding them to the baseboard were actualy behind the fins on the pipe which needed bending out of the way to get to.

Does this mean they were installed actualy over the baseboard cover backs and are no longer removable without removing the piping?

Now I have all the fasteners removed, the back is still free floating behind the fin covered pipe, which is sitting on the back of the cover itself, and there seems to be no removable parts from here, leaving the whole thing wedged in.

Am I missing something or is this one of those things I'd need to cut out to replace or to allow painting?

Rob.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-04, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Rob:

It sounds like what you refer to covers is actually the main housing.
The cover would be what you normally remove to access the fins from the front.

Normally you would perform your painting and decorating without removing them.
It would not be adviseable to disturb them in any way.

Old 05-09-04, 09:25 AM
Ortem
Visiting Guest
But surely theres a way to remove them if, say, I wanted to replace them with new ones?

They're old and pretty beaten up.

Seems a bit weird to think I'd have to actualy remove the pipes for that.

Rob.

Old 05-09-04, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Rob:

Well, it's not really that wierd.

The style and shape of the housing would in all likelyhood change every couple of years or so and would not likely even be available for the style you have.
Housings for baseboard heaters are not a thing that would normally need to be changed and even if you could find a replacement, because of the fact that the housing is what holds the tubing in place, you would have to uninstall the piping anyway.

Old 05-10-04, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What you are trying to do is very difficult to do withour ruining the enclosure. If you successfully removed all the nails, you can get the rest of it out by removing the support brackets from the back panel. That usually requires lifting them up slightly to unlock the bottom from the enclosure and then snaking them out from behind the element. Once you doo all that, you probably won't find a new enclosure that fits properly anyway. Or one that can be assembled in place. It would be a whole lot less aggravating to have someone come in and replace all the pieces at once by draining and disconnecting the pipes. I know the cost will be more but you are undertaking a project that may be impossible.

Ken

Old 05-10-04, 08:12 PM
Ortem
Visiting Guest
I looked in the local Home Depot and they actualy sell the very same models still...

Looks in every way to be identical, so I supose it gives me the option at least of replacing the end caps and accessories to clean them up.

Was this some kind of fad product or something?
I'm used to solid metal radiators where I come from.
These things are amazingly ugly, and in my case they've even been spray painted with the walls, so it's covered in flaking and cracking paint.

Any suggestions for the back and top?
Automotive primer and spray paint perhaps?

Rob.