Change a furnace from nat.gas to LP


Old 05-08-04, 01:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Change a furnace from nat.gas to LP

undefinedI have a chance to get a newer Trane furnace for the cost off taking it out. They are rebuilding. The problem is it is natural gas now can I change it over to LP. and if so is it just the gas valve or also the orfices for the burners. It is Large enough to heat my 43x70 shed and comes with central air also. Thanks for your time. John
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-04, 05:06 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,440
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: John

Conversion from natural gas to LP, basically, requires the appliances regulator to be converted and the burner orifices, either replaced or adjusted. The appliances built in regulator is within the gas control.

Most often, orifice replacement, instead of adjustment, is the best method, when converting from natural to LP. The existing orifices have to be sized down. Meaning the orifices hole must be smaller than it currently is.

The built into the gas control regulator should have but not always, a cap on the tower of the regulator. Flipping the cap over converts the regulator from natural to LP. Should be currently set to natural. Removing it and turning it over, replacing it should convert from nat gas to LP.

Would be a good idea to be sure the conversion is done correctly. Often requires additional procedures to insure proper furnace operation and fuel burning. If the conversion is not done correctly, furnace operation will be effected and in some cases produce high levels of carbon monoxides.
Old 05-08-04, 05:28 AM
hvac4u's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NW atlanta
Posts: 3,147
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
get the kit from traane. it includes orifices, a new spring for the valve and a new cap. BE SURE to set the gas pressure on the regulator at the valve. you will need either a manometer of a gas pressure guage
Old 05-08-04, 01:39 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 18,389
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Make sure you have the model ## of the furnace when you go to trane. Should just need the orifices and lock out for the regulator if its not on the gas valve already. check with the gas company for what line size you need to it from the tank . Id put a little Joe on the tank for the line to the building high pressure. At the building a regulator to cut you down to 11" W/C. Make sure they read the pressure there on the manifold with any and all lp there on at the same time. Dont for get if you going to paint are have cars in this shed you want the burned or open flame to be by code here 2' up off the floor or more.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: