fire pit from old HWH burner?

Old 06-08-04, 04:02 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fire pit from old HWH burner?

I have been looking in to putting a fire pit or chimena in my back yard, however I have so many trees in close proximity that I am afraid that I might start a fire. I have looked at some free standing portable natural gas units for sale on the internet and they are all A) ugly and B) expensive. I am a plumber but I don't do that much gas work, but this doesn't seem to be that complicated. I thought that I would put a quick disconnect NG line out to the patio for the BBQ, so why not engineer my own fire pit that would be more to my tastes and cheaper.

What do you say guys, is it plausible? How would I control flow? What would I do with the thermocouple? Could I bury it in a pit of sand so just flame shoots out?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-04, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i do not see why it could not be done. adjust the flame with a ball valve on the gas line. i would not bury the burner, in a furnace burners that are covered with rust create a LOT of CO, very dangerous.

Old 06-09-04, 09:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Paulypfunk

Visit any patio and or bbq shop in your area. Preformed iron firepit burners can be purchased. Around the burner build an above ground red brick pitt.

Once the firepit is built, assemble the burner and place it inside the pitt. Cover the burner with large lava rocks. No gas regulation is needed. The burner is designed to handle full volume of gas. Adjustment to the burners flame size is done as hvac4u suggested. Install a gas ball shut off valve.

The premade burner is circular. 1/2 inch iron preshaped with it's own raised plateform tabs. Assemble and place into firepit. Connect gasline. Cover burner with large lava rocks. Job done. No sand or dirt ever used or needed.