hot air heating system

Old 06-19-04, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hot air heating system

We have an oil fired hot air heating system in our bungalow. The primary intake vent is located on the main floor in the hall, next to the master bedroom. I have observed, during the past seven years, that there is, generally, a temperature difference, during the summer time, from the main floor level and the basement area of approximately 10 degrees celsius. It has occured to me that I might be able to use the temperature difference to help cool down the main floor area. Perhaps , if I changed the intake vent location to a basement area, bypassed the thermostat control mechanism which operates the furnace,( thereby shutting down the heating function of the furnace), installed a simple switch system to be able to operate the blower system, independent of the furnace operation, I might be able to circulate the cooler air from the basement to the main floor thereby making the living area that much cooler. Do you think this might work. What problems might I anticipate.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-04, 03:02 PM
Thumbs down

This sounds good all the time but it dont work. When you pull the cool air up from the basement. You have to replace the air down there so you get the warm moist air to come down there.Then everything down there will start to sweat. Just the floor will get so wet it will look like you put a hose to it.

My .02 cents

ED

Old 06-21-04, 05:41 AM
You should get some relief if you just run the fan all the time on those days. You may not have the fan switch on your thermostat if you don't have a/c but you may have a fan override button on the fan control inside the furnace cabinet. Check it out and run the fan for a day or two and see if it helps.

Ken