Vented Gas Heater in Basement

Old 08-09-04, 09:36 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vented Gas Heater in Basement

Hi,

I have a 1200SF basement which is currently not heated. I have an oil furnace in the basement, which power a stanard forced hot water heating system in the two floors above.

I'm interested in installing a gas (LP or Natural) vented heater in my basement, and I'm leaning towards the Monitor GF3800. I have a few (dumb) questions, as follows:

1. The gas heater would sit on the concrete basement floor. The walls are poured concrete up to four feet, and then studs the rest of the way to the ceiling. Is there any problem with having the vent/intake pipe above the concrete portion of the wall, or does the vent/intake need to be level with the heater?

2. Is there any issue with having both furnaces in the same basement? They physically will be approximately 20 feet apart.

Any other issues with installing a gas vented heater in my basement, or with this brand/model? Thanks.

Regards,

Henry

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-04, 05:46 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Henry

I'm not familar with that specific brand but if that unit has a coaxial vent, meaning a double walled vent pipe, center being the exhaust and the outter being the intake air, no problem. Install to manufacturers instructions.

No additional outside air required for combustion air. Combustion air is drawn in through the dual walled vent. If that is what the unit will have and what you mean by "the vent/intake pipe"

Such heating units as described above need no additional intake air. Non coaxial venting units will need additional intake air into the basement.

Dual walled coaxial venting appliances can have one 90 degree elbow in the exhaust/intake pipe. So the intake/exhaust pipe can exist the heater, extend upwards to above ground level, turn 90 degrees (elbow) and vent to the outside slightly above ground level.

Follow manufacturers instructions for above ground level of external vent. Especially, if your area gets snow, etc.