Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Accidentally hooked a 110v gas furnace to 220, now Inducer Motor won't start

Old 08-14-04, 06:54 PM
MBrooks
Visiting Guest

First off I'd just like to say that this is a great website, and is a very valuable resource to anyone who owns/maintains a home. I recently tried to install a gas furnace. Where I had decided to set the furnace up, there happened to be a power wire handy. I hooked this wire up to the furnace, not realizing that it was 220. After the furnace ran for almost a minute there was a small pop, and that never good smell of electronics. I shut it down, and immediately figured out what I had done. I suspected that I may have burnt up the inducer motor. This isn't the case, as I have removed and tested the motor. Now the furnace will stay lit on pilot, but something is burnt up in the systems that tells the inducer motor to turn on. I was wondering what everyone would think the problem could be, or where to start testing. I am fairly handy with a VOM. My uneducated guesses would be transformer, or something burnt on the board(nothing visually wrong)(The furnace is a fairly new Rheem BTW) Any input would be apprciated

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-04, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1st check the fuses. Then the board. You've probably smoked the board.

Old 08-16-04, 12:20 PM
MBrooks
Visiting Guest
Only found 1 fuse in the furnace, and it was good. I guess I'll pull the board and start probing at it.

Old 08-16-04, 05:31 PM
I bet if you're married your wife is saying "I told you so!"

Don't tear it apart right away. Have you got the electric hooked up properly yet? I think those Rheems have a fuse on the board but it's not replaceable. Unless you're in to soldering circuit boards.

Old 08-16-04, 06:23 PM
MBrooks
Visiting Guest
I did hook up the proper electric, and thermostat. I tried it without it hooked up, and it still did not work. I am capable of replacing parts of the board, but they aren't as much as I expected they would be, and I may just buy a new on. This one does have a bit of green corrosion I am going to try and clean off. Thanks for your help, I'll look for a fixed fuse. I also deserve the "I told you so's" as I really should have known better.

Old 08-17-04, 04:07 AM
With the electric applied take your multi-meter and check to see if you have secondary voltage out of the transformer. If so see if you've got voltage going into the board, if so with a call for heating see if anything is at connections for inducer or W on the board. If you've got voltage going in the board but not out it's bad.

Old 08-17-04, 05:23 PM
could just be the transformer. iw ould look at that first

good advice from matt, boards do what they are told, if the do not, they are bad. very simple