attic furnaces

Old 09-13-04, 11:18 AM
tiffanie
Visiting Guest
Question attic furnaces

Hello:

Does anyone know the pros and cons of having the furnace in your attic rather than the garage/basement? I've never seen a furnace in the attic and would like to know more about it. Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks
Tif

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-04, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The plus would be that if this is controlling the upstairs you would not have to try and run duct up the walls from the basement and 1st floor and it frees up space in the basement/garage.

The downside is it's in an attic.. Period. Nobody likes working in an attic or crawlspace. If it leaks water out of the auxillary drain pan it can damage the cieling.

If I had a 2nd floor there would be a system in the attic to take care of that space.

Old 09-13-04, 12:26 PM
Wink

Like Matt said , Just what do you have there???????
Just one floor and the basement put it in the basement. this way you can get the first floor and the basement with the one unit just fine. We have put a lot of them in the attic. Its just what will work best and give you the best heat and cool job.

ED

Old 09-13-04, 01:12 PM
D
con - keep a 90% out of an attic if in cold temps. If less than 90% less efficient.

Old 09-13-04, 04:59 PM
tiffanie
Visiting Guest
I am about to purchase my first home and I am concerned about safety and repair issues I may have.

The home has 2 stories and no basement. The furnace is in the attic. I know it's a HVAC furnace but I don't know what the efficiency is. Any comments would be helpful. They said the furnace is new.

Old 09-14-04, 04:23 AM
It's just as safe for it to be in the attic as it is in the basement. One point was made about a 90+ in the attic in a cold climate and if the proper steps are not taken you can freeze a condensate line up there. The best thing is to have your own HVAC guy inspect it prior to closing.

Old 09-14-04, 09:08 AM
D
Originally Posted by mattison
It's just as safe for it to be in the attic as it is in the basement. One point was made about a 90+ in the attic in a cold climate and if the proper steps are not taken you can freeze a condensate line up there. The best thing is to have your own HVAC guy inspect it prior to closing.
Most people on this board have said that it is NOT saft to put a 90+ furnace in attic in areas where it gets very cold. If you are in North Carolina attic furnace 90+ may not be a problem but if you are in upstate NY or Vermont be careful.