Old sears homart wall furnace

Old 09-20-04, 07:20 AM
firedoug
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Old sears homart wall furnace

I have a n old sears "homart" series wall furnace in a cottage, i rely on it for heat in winter. there is no model number anywhere on it that i can find, it was in the cottage i bought last year. it is a natural gas, through wall vented furnace, about 12" wide, and about 48" tall. it has a small blower unit at the top that blows air out the bottom into the room. my problem is that the pilot light keeps going out. i can feel a draft coming through the pilot hole that keeps blowing the flame out. i know i need to get the house buttoned up and tight to prevent air leaks, (which may help prevent drafts coming in through the furnace to make up the air being expelled through the house), but i am curious if there is a damper(???) assy. in the exhaust portion of the furnace/outlet to prevent air flow. the unit appears to be several decades old, and last winter, in the beginning when it was running correctly (no outside breezes), i did not have any CO leaks, as they were tested, so the unit is still functioning. any suggestions would help ..(other than replacing the entire unit)!!

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-04, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Not sure on what you have there. But on all the units that vent out of the wall that we use . There is a door on it that you have to close so the pilot dont blow out. I have had to cover the outside vents to light the pilot close the door then take the cover off the vent pipe. Is the thermocouple good ??

ED

Old 09-22-04, 07:04 AM
firedoug
Visiting Guest
i have pulled the flue cap off, there is no damper (door) on it,.and looking in through the hole only see the outlet pipe from the furnace, which goes down inside the furnace unit. thermocouple is good!, breeze blows pilot out.

Doug

Old 09-22-04, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Didnt mean damper in flue. We cover it up outside To light the pilot. Inside there where you light the pilot There has been a door. After the pilot is lit you close that and uncover the out side vent. This way it dont blow out the pilot light.

ED