Old Gas Furnace Blower Moter Won't Come On

Old 10-06-04, 05:43 PM
Chromedynasty
Visiting Guest
Old Gas Furnace Blower Motor Won't Come On

I have a 17 year-old Olsen gas furnace. The unit lights up fine, however the blower motor does not come on. This is the first time I have tried to fire it up this fall (it was functioning fine last year). I have checked for power at the motor and there is. I am a new homeowner and do not have experience with this type of furnace.

I can't seem to find any postings with this particular problem. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Chromedynasty; 10-07-04 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 10-07-04, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try giving the fan motor a little push and see what happens.

Old 10-07-04, 01:22 PM
Chromedynasty
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your response. I've tried rotating the motor, with no results. I've tested for power at the motor and there is. Could it be a defective fan control (the fan control senses heat from the heat exchanger and triggers the fan motor, correct?)? The "manual/auto" button on the fan control doesn't seem to do anything. Is there a way for me to test it? I guess I could wire the motor directly to a plug to make sure it's okay first. If it's working okay is there a way of rigging up the fan control to simulate a call for heat?

Thanks.

Paul.

Old 10-07-04, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

I've tested for power at the motor and there is.
If you have 110 volts there at the fan motor pull it out and get a new one just like it. When you turn that fan control to manual the fan should run for you.

ED

Old 10-07-04, 01:53 PM
Chromedynasty
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed.

Two quickies:
1)Should I pull the motor and hook it up directly to power before I trade it in?
2)Is the fan control like a relay? I was thinking that if the motor passes the test could I just jump the relay to start the motor(?). If it starts up, then it'd be the fan control that needs to be replaced, correct?

Thanks.

Paul.

Old 10-08-04, 04:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have line voltage at the motor it's not the relay. Get a new motor and capacitor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: