Little heat coming out of vents

Old 10-07-04, 05:25 AM
topgun68
Visiting Guest
Little heat coming out of vents

I can barly feel any heat coming out of all the vents in my home. We just bought this home about two month ago and it was built in 1989. Its a 2,175 sq ft two story home. When we had a home inspection done on it, there was little heat coming out of the heating vents two month ago with was then Aug 15, 2004. We just had our furnace clean, and I seen him take out the blower cover, which i think it was. It was a big round tin container, about 2 feet round i guess. He replace the filters too. The furnace is a gas TEMPSTAR SMART COMFORT DC90 ULTRA HIGH EFFICIENCY, Model # NCGM075GA3 with INPUT 75,000 BTU/HR, which was made in 2000-2001.
When I use the central Air, I feel plenty of air coming out of the heat vents, but when I use the furnace, I have to put my hand on the heat vents just to tell if any heat is coming out of them. Yes, its all the vents the same way with barly any heat coming out of them. My neighbor, told me the couple we bought the house of from, had the same problem with barly any air coming out of the heat vents, he said, they even tried to run the furnace with out any filters but that only help very little from what he told me. Some how the house is being heated, because the thermostat is set for 70 degree and the real temp was around 66 degree. About a hour later, it warm up to the 70 degree, which I set the thermostat at. This was done in the morning at 5:00A.M, October 5, 2004 with outside tempature being 36 degree in New Haven, Indiana. Hope I gave you all the information you needed.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-04, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When you got it cleaned and serviced what did the tech say? If it's heating the house it should be ok. You could check the temp differance between the supply and return in heat mode and post those numbers. Is that a variable speed fan or multi tap?

Old 10-07-04, 01:58 PM
Wink

Sounds to me like the blower is on low for heat or is a V/S and it dont work right. Id check this out and kick it up some. You say the air is fine on the AC You can take and turn the tstat to fan on while your tstat is calling for heat and see if that dont help a lot.

ED

Old 10-07-04, 10:28 PM
topgun68
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mattison
When you got it cleaned and serviced what did the tech say? If it's heating the house it should be ok. You could check the temp differance between the supply and return in heat mode and post those numbers. Is that a variable speed fan or multi tap?
I dont have a clue how to take the temp for supply and return, so I wont be able to go that route. Not sure what type of fan it is, I do know the tech notice the fan was set on the lowest speed and he switch the wires around to make it faster, but still hardly any air coming out of the heat vents.

Old 10-08-04, 07:17 AM
topgun68
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Sounds to me like the blower is on low for heat or is a V/S and it dont work right. Id check this out and kick it up some. You say the air is fine on the AC You can take and turn the tstat to fan on while your tstat is calling for heat and see if that dont help a lot.

ED
Ok ED, I just did what you told me and it worked. I put the fan over to ON instead of AUTO. I have plenty of air coming thru the vents now. Now how do i get the Auto fan to work since we know that is the problem now? I dont want to keep it set on ON or the fan will never shut off.

Old 10-08-04, 05:11 PM
Wink

Look at the wire schematic there on the unit. You should have 3 speeds on the fan, its on low for heat move it up one or tie it to high as the fan is for AC or fan on. Then it will go on and off for you.

ED

Old 10-08-04, 11:08 PM
topgun68
Visiting Guest
K Thanks Ed, I will give it a try and thanks for fixing my problem.