sharp advice (Inoperative FAU)

Old 10-11-04, 05:52 AM
grant smith
Visiting Guest
sharp advice HELP!!! ANYONE!

Hi there,
I tried to turn my gas furnace on today but only got cold air. The pilot light seems to be out and the re-start button dosent seem to work. Breakers are on and the thermostat turns on the A/C so it seems to be working fine. any suggestions?

Last edited by grant smith; 10-11-04 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-04, 06:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Grant. Welcome to the Heating Furnaces forum topic and the Do It Yourself Web Site.

Without knowing the brand name, model and year of the furnace, generically speaking, very likely the thremocouple, pilot generator or pilot flame sensor is defective or burned out. Replacing it likely to resolve the problem.

What can be reasonably assumed, is the furnace is a forced warm air furnace with a pilot light, since you mentioned reset button and pilot light.

There are several types and varieties of systems using pilot flames and safety elements on forced air heaters. Knowing the brand, model and year helps to more accurately determine the cause and repair procedures needed.

Kindly use the reply button to add the needed additional information. Doing so would help better to disagnose the problem and determine the correction needed for that specific furnace.

You can first check the pilot flame and be sure it is clean and burning all blue. If not, clear it using computer keyboard canned air cleaner. Blow out the entire pilot assembly.

Next, there will be an element that the pilot flame will be heating. Very likely that element (which ever type it is, T-Couple - PG or pilot flame sensor ) is burned out and in need of replacement.

A/C is a totally different system than the heating furnace unit but both are combined into one single unit. Neither has any bearing on the other for operational purposes other than the thermostat (to select heat or cooling) and the inside fan blower.

I edited the original title to the question slightly. Thanks for the vote of confidence in me. All the professionals in this topic are equally as qualified (if not more so than I) to answer your question and provide expert advice and help....

Old 10-11-04, 06:51 AM
grant smith
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the fast reply to my problem!
I have a ICG Keeprite forced air gas furnace Model#HGF 060ns-1
Ser# 8424169002.

Last edited by grant smith; 10-11-04 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 09:29 AM
grant smith
Visiting Guest
Help!!! Anyone!

Hi again Sharp advice,
Dont mean to be a pain but this is our Thanksgiving up here and the In-laws are on their way so if I could get a reply on this problem it would be greatly recieved. If it is something I can fix in a jiffy or I should get a techy in?

Last edited by grant smith; 10-11-04 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 10:44 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi: Grant

If the unit has a hot surface glowing ignitor, replace the part. If the unit has a pilot flame of any type, replace the element the flame is heating.

Regardless of which safety element system the unit has, it is the most likely part to fail. If either of those two likely parts used, depending upon which one the unit has, either does not correct the problem and/or there are time contraints, call the local heating agency.

Applaince problem diagnostics does take time and this forum communication method of problem solving also takes time. Sorry I cannot be of more help in such a brief time span.

Happy Holiday & Good Luck
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."