Continuously running blower fan

Old 10-11-04, 06:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Continuously running blower fan

My heating guy was over to my house a couple weeks ago and we were talking about air quality. He suggested installing a HEPA filter system which would require running the furnace fan 24/7 along with the HEPA unit. I can't afford the HEPA unit so he suggested I run the fan 24/7, replace the filter once a month and install a humidifier to keep the humidity level reasonable. I guess my question is are furnace fans designed to run 24/7 like he is suggesting? He said running the fan continuously would even the heat out in the house, help clean the air, but would tend to dry the air out thus the humidifier. Does this sound like good advice? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-04, 12:29 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Jeff. Welcome to the Heating Furnaces forum topic and the Do It Yourself Web Site.

My opinion, not a good idea. Air quality not likely to improve except for additional dust removal. Fan motor not designed nor intended to run 24/7.

Motor can be run 24/7 but not intended to be. Just piles on more wear and tear on motor. Also runs up energy costs and not much will be gained, imo.

However, adding the humidifier to keep the humidity level reasonable would require 24/7 fan running. But even that is subjective. Enough humidity should be placed into the air during the heating operation to offset any dryness created by warm air heating.

To reduce dryness, save fuel cost and electrical costs, try not heating above 68 degrees. Be surprised by the overall savings and lack of dryness...

68 to cool for comfort? Wear a sweater or something like it. You'll be $$$ ahead.... and quickly get use to it.

Old 10-15-04, 01:16 PM
Wink

Go ahead for sure and put a good humidifer in there. it will come on when the furnace blower is on. You can run it 24/7 but there should be no need to. We have found that when you have a good humidifier there in the home you will push the tstat down and still feel warm. Just use a good pleated filter there and new every 30 days. There also is a spray you can put on the intake side of a filter that helps get more dust. One is Filter Coat the other is PuraClean. They both help, just a light coat on new filters

ED

Old 10-18-04, 08:57 AM
Thanks to both of you. What you both wrote sounds like good advice and I'll work on getting a humidifier installed but not run the fan 24/7. Sweet!