Intermittent Pilot, Borg Warner Gas Furnace

Old 10-11-04, 08:00 AM
B
bobNJ
Visiting Guest
Intermittent Pilot, Borg Warner Gas Furnace

I mistakenly posted this as a Honeywell furnace...

Anyway I had the pilot light fire right up for me and it stayed on from Friday night until sometime Monday morning.

I re-lit the pilot and it stayed on until the GF turned up the temp on the thermostat then I heard a click and the pilot went out. I tried a couple of times to re-lit it to no avail.

The thermostat she had installed about 1 year ago after she purchased the condo, it's a honeywell programable model that she has manually set to hold about 72 degrees on heat.

This new thermostat cost her $200.00 last year, what's the probability that it is malfunctioning ?

After the pilot lit right up for me I didn't
bother putting a meter on anything or
attempt to troubleshoot any further.

Thanks for any advice...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-04, 11:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: bobNJ

Not a thermostat caused problem. Pilots usually go out when the thermocouple or pilot generator safety element, (depending on which is used, etc) is defective.

Either of these are located in the pilot assembly and heated by the pilots flame. Replacing the safety element usually solves the problem. Also a good idea to blow out the entire pilot asembly to clear out the dust. Helps to provide a clean and hot burning pilot flame.

Old 10-11-04, 11:55 AM
B
bobNJ
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the time & the reply.

What is the chance that the sensor would be intermittent ? I know that when she ran the temp setting up on the T-stat i saw the pilot go out at the same time I heard a loud click from the gas valve.

Anyway she has the service Co. stopping by this evening it just galls me that I could have changed this 6 $ part for 6 dollars not 200....

Thanks again for your responce and time.

Old 10-21-04, 04:45 PM
B
bobNJ
Visiting Guest
I just wanted to stop back and tell you that the T-couple
was the culprit and they charged her $100.

It seems that these can be intermittant, I lit it friday evening when I arrived and it stayed lit until sometime Sunday night or early Monday morning.

Thanks again for your time and answer, I should have insisted that we change the thing out... AND get a spare LOL.