Cracked Oil Burner Head

Old 10-12-04, 09:11 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cracked Oil Burner Head

I was told my oil burner needs a new head(I think that's what they called it). Please tell me what a replacement of a cracked head would involve. The burner is I ran the heater last night for the first time since last season and I was a little worried about CO. I have a detector mounted but I still felt a little worried.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-04, 10:52 AM
D
Just noticed I didn't complete a sentence. The burner is a Beckett.
Thanks

Old 10-12-04, 06:41 PM
CO isn't going to be the problem. It will be reliability and efficiency of the burner. The flame retention head is made of stainless steel but it cannot be exposed to the wrap around flame inside the combustion chamber or it will deteriorate. If yours did, the air tube is probably also damaged. If the head is burned but the tube is OK, maybe it should be pulled back so the head is not inside the chamber. The face of the retention head should be 1/4" back from the inside edge of the combustion chamber. If it is, it will last a long, long time. There is also an insulation piece called an 'amulet' that can be put around the retention head and over the first few inches of the air tube to prevent heat damage. Good Luck with the repairs.

Ken