New furnace recommendations

Old 10-13-04, 03:30 PM
CharlieGibson
Visiting Guest

My old Bryant home furnace just bit the dust. I have so far been quoted $4300 for an American Standard 90+ furnace. Do any of you have recommendations for other furnace models or reasons I should avoid this model?

Thanks in advance.
Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-04, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Make sure you get at least 3 estimates.

Get the highest efficiency model you can afford, and consider the DC drive models if you use the fan a lot.

You will have to contact an American Standard dealer if you need parts in the future.

Old 10-14-04, 10:55 AM
Wink

Like said get 3 bid for the job. Look into Trane and Rheem.
You dont say where your at. If long winter get a AFUE 90% furnace. Short winter Id go for an 80% AFUE furnace

ED

Old 10-18-04, 02:38 PM
CharlieGibson
Visiting Guest

Thanks guys. So far I have several estimates but I would really like to decide on a furnace first and then shop around for the best deal on that particular furnace.

I'm in Norfolk, Virginia and my house is about 1700 sq ft.

Charlie

Old 10-18-04, 04:00 PM
you are going about this backwards. the units on the market, for the most part, are close to the same quality. it is the INSTALLATION that makes the difference. get names of long standing quality contractors. who do your friends use? check the BBB, etc. I love amana, ed is a trane man and there are many carrier fans here. we will be glad to give a fair evaluation of what you are offered, just be sure it is from a good install co.

and yes, one of my units is a carrier, darn good unit too

Old 10-21-04, 08:25 AM
Call supply houses (plumbing or heating) instead, they have the same as Home Depot and others with the advantage of some better commercial grade units. You will find that their prices may be 75% less than residential stores. I got a commercial grade unit (100,000btu @ 80% efficiency) for $400 and that was 3 years ago. I also bought the central air (3 tons) to go with it for an extra $800. I then hired a hvac man to install everything and get it working. He charged me a few hundred dollars. My system is way better than some friends who paid well over $5000 for theirs.

Old 10-21-04, 06:34 PM
I am in the same boat, just on a different side of the country.

Long Beach, CA (mild winter)

I need to replace my old floor furnace and have gotten two bids for a new AFUE 80 gas furnace, single stage (central system). Both bids are over $4000 and I am suffering from sticker shock. I am going to try the route of purchasing the furnace myself and would like to know if there are any brands to specifically avoid. My two bids are for Trane and Carrier units, but all I have seen is Goodman, Rheem and Rudd on the internet. I did read on another site that Goodman's warranty was voided if you bought it over the internet instead of from an authorized dealer. I will be hiring a licensed HVAC contractor to install, but I want a full warranty too.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-22-04, 09:03 AM
Wink

Builders like to use Goodman For the low cost. Does that tell you something.

ED

Old 10-22-04, 10:23 AM
Yes, I had already decided the Goodman was a dicey choice.

I am leaning towards the Rheem RGTJ07EMAES, which is Energy Star qualified, even though an 80% would be cheaper and more likey in my climate zone. It will depend on what numbers an installer comes back with as to whether I think the extra $400 for a 90% is worth it.

Old 10-22-04, 10:47 AM
Wink

For CA Id go with the 80%

ED

Old 11-03-04, 01:24 PM
CharlieGibson
Visiting Guest
new furnace questions

My old Bryant forced air gas furnace has a cracked heat exchange and needs to be replaced. I live in a 1700 sq ft house in Norfolk, VA.

1. How do I calculate the size of furnace I need?
2. How do I calculate the amount of savings difference between a 80% and a 90% efficiency furnace?

I'll get a 90% efficiency rating if it will pay for the difference in cost sometime in the next 10 years.

Charlie

Old 11-03-04, 01:36 PM
Wink

Get 3 bid for the job. Make sure they run the heat loss on the home . Dont know how cold and long the winter is there. If its long yes a 90% AFUE if not just an 80% will do. It takes the 10 years for a payback

ED

Old 11-03-04, 01:47 PM
CharlieGibson
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your reply Ed. I have 4 quotes thus far. No one has "run the heat loss on the home." They all just give an estimate size based on the sq footage of my house. Problem is they don't all agree with size. I want to know how to calculate it so I can know which size to get. I have had some really bad past experiences with "professionals" working on my house. I feel like I need to check everything myself if I want it done right. I wish I didn't.

So does anyone have a rough formula (it doesn't have to be perfect) for calculating furnace size?

Charlie

Old 11-03-04, 02:05 PM
Wink

You can try this. Each should run this heat loss for you. Its part of the job. Can you look around for other bids. Sq ft of a home dont cut it. Have you looked at a Trane or Rheem with V/S blower they are good

ED

Old 11-03-04, 02:27 PM
CharlieGibson
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the link. Not sure how that is going to help me though.

I have looked at Trane but not Rheem. Seems strange that theses guys would all use sq footage if that's not the way to do it.

Charlie

Old 11-03-04, 03:28 PM
Wink

Sq ft helps but what are the doors the windows. What is the insulation in the wall and the ceiling. You need it all to come up with the BTU loss or answer.

ED

Old 11-06-04, 03:08 PM
CharlieGibson
Visiting Guest
New Furnace Rebate??

I am in the market for a new furnace and one of my quotes was for $4700 for a 90+ Trane (2-stage variable-speed), but they were offering a 50% rebate at the end of 3 years!! Have you ever heard of anything like this? If so what is the reasoning for such an offer? It seems fishy to me.

Thanks for your help.

Charlie Gibson
Norfolk, VA

Old 11-06-04, 03:16 PM
CharlieGibson
Visiting Guest
skipping the middleman?

Originally Posted by sparks98
Call supply houses (plumbing or heating) instead, they have the same as Home Depot and others with the advantage of some better commercial grade units. You will find that their prices may be 75% less than residential stores. I got a commercial grade unit (100,000btu @ 80% efficiency) for $400 and that was 3 years ago. I also bought the central air (3 tons) to go with it for an extra $800. I then hired a hvac man to install everything and get it working. He charged me a few hundred dollars. My system is way better than some friends who paid well over $5000 for theirs.
Has anyone out there tried doing this? I would definitely like to save some money as a new furnace was not in the budget, but there must be some reason people don't usually do this. Any suggestions or warnings?

Charlie

Old 11-06-04, 03:29 PM
Thumbs down

Just think who will back it when it goes out. Get parts for it if some thing goes bad on it.

ED

Old 11-06-04, 06:23 PM
rebate from who? the install contractor or trane?

you get in 3 years? never heard of that

i would like to see the paperwork on that!!

Old 11-09-04, 02:22 PM
CharlieGibson
Visiting Guest
I thought it was from Trane, but I don't really know. I'll have to ask.

Old 11-09-04, 07:26 PM
Trane has a rebate that ends at the end of Nov.

http://trane.com/Residential/News/Rebate.aspx

Depeonds all what you get, you get rebate for that. On my new sytem I got $250 from Trane, $50 from the electric company, $250 from the gas company.

Old 11-11-04, 02:38 PM
CharlieGibson
Visiting Guest
Couldn't anyone?

Why would it be any different from what I've been doing with my old furnace? I just call a service company they come out order the part and fix it. I would rather pay after the problem happens that pay for the service up front just incase I need it.

Anyone out there done this? This is a do it yourself forum, where are all you do it yourselfers?

Charlie