New High Efficency 2-Stage, Variable Gas Furnace

Old 10-15-04, 08:00 AM
Tweak
Visiting Guest
New High Efficency 2-Stage, Variable Gas Furnace

I bought an older house (1947) this summer. Unfortunately when I had the AC/furnace serviced this summer, cracks were found in the furnace heat exchanger.

I am getting three quotes to replace it with a high efficency gas furnace. Probably a 2 stage/variable speed for the even heat and low noise. I am located in Wisconsin where we have long winters, so it will get used quite a bit.

Anyway, my question is I am looking at 3 different kinds of furnaces: Lennox, Carrier, and Rheem. All are around the same price and come with the same warranties for the top models (l.life on heat exchanger, 10 years parts and labor). Is there one brand that stands out above or below the others in quality? From what I have read they all appear to be quality furnaces, but I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on which they would go with.

Last edited by Tweak; 10-15-04 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-04, 01:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Difficult To Suggest Which Unit To Buy

Hello Tweak. Welcome to the Heating Furnaces forum topic and the Do It Yourself Web Site.

Difficult question to answer specifically. Heating units and heating with A/C unit selection is just like any other product or service purchase.

Within almost every price range there are several models, types and selections. Each designed to match the units together and meet several needs.

Within each of these groups, each manufacturer offers features, quality, warranty & service claims they individually determine will best sell their product. Heating units and heating with A/C units must be matched to the individual needs & conditions.

Alway's consider the warranties and future service needs for any major appliances your considering to purchase. Price isn't always the best guide for long term appliance investments.

In my personal option, there isn't any one product better than the other. They all perform equally well and all require parts and service sometime during the products life expectancy and ownership.

Select the a brand of your choice, have the unit professionally installed, register the warranty, read the owners manual and maintain it well.

Check back on your question several more times. Heating professionals and other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of current questions automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-15-04, 01:25 PM
Tweak
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Sharp. To be more specific with my question, I am considering the Carrier Infinity 58MVP, the Lennox G61V, and the Rheem RGFD Series all at about 60,000 btu's. Would I better off with one over the other considering proper sizing and installation, all other things being equal?

I am getting the sense that it is more individual preference than anything when comparing these furnaces, but just wanted to solicit any other opinions.

Old 10-15-04, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Sounds good you got 3 bids.I lean to Trane and the XV90.
But the best way to go is. What the guy sells that has been there a long long time. He knows the furnace and will know how and have parts to fix it. Make sure they all run a heat loss on the home

ED