Child put something in oil burner!

Old 10-15-04, 05:20 PM
jloasmom
Visiting Guest
Child put something in oil burner!

Hello

Please forgive my layman's terms. I am clueless regarding oil burners, but my neighbor's son just dropped a small (2 1/2 in?) plastic paint container of either paint or some sort of oil down the air vent of the large aluminum duct coming out of the top of our oil furnace (Brand: Weil-McLain Model No
P-WTGO-4). It is, naturally, Friday night (why don't these things happen on Wed morning?!) I immediately turned off the emergency switch. My question is this- can we access the inside of the oil burner ourselves? Can we continue to run the oil burner if we are not able to get it? I am concerned something will explode and create greater problems. I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-04, 05:37 PM
Wink

paint or some sort of oil down the air vent of the large aluminum duct coming out of the top of our oil furnace (Brand:
oh fun fun fun with kids
You have to get it out and before it spills if you have the burner come on yes it can start a fire right away when the outside of the furnace gets hot.
Did it roll all the way down to the furnace do you know how far down it is.You can cut a hole on the side of the plenum and go in from there, stay above the AC coil there if you have AC. or tap on the duct till you find it and cut in there. cut like a big U in the duct this way you can bend it back and tape it.
Glad my kids are all big

Old 10-15-04, 06:48 PM
jloasmom
Visiting Guest
I'm sure it went down to the furnace

The duct is about 7 inches in diameter and it's a straight shot of about 1 1/2 feet. If we figured out how to get into the metal cabinet around the furnace would we be able to get ahold of it or should we call someone in?

Thanks for your reply.

Old 10-16-04, 04:29 AM
I'm guessing that he dropped it in the barometric damper opening and it is on top of the boiler. Don't bother trying to get there by taking off the jacket sides. You just need to take the smoke pipe off. The sections pull apart and you may need to take out screws that hold the pipes together. You can't really hurt anything when you work with the pipe. I really don't think you want that stuff getting spilled inside the boiler so go ahead and rip into it.

Ken

Old 10-16-04, 10:40 AM
jloasmom
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks, Ken, we will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Old 10-16-04, 11:00 AM
jloasmom
Visiting Guest
Wink Got it

Hurrah! We got it out. Thanks so much to both of you for your help.