Rattling gas valve on Amana furnace

Old 10-16-04, 05:25 AM
techtim
Visiting Guest
Rattling gas valve on Amana furnace

Hello,

I have a 12 year old Amana 90+ furnace (GHN90A35) with a Robertshaw 7100DER gas valve. The furnace works fine, flames look good, but there is a very loud rattling when the valve is on.

Can this rattling be repaired? I can't find any tech info on the valve or the furnace. I found that I can buy a Honeywell equivalent valve (VR8435M) for about $100 or a Robertshaw OEM for $350 (ouch!).

I am comfortable with working with gas pipe and measuring pressures. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-04, 12:40 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Tim

If you can hold onto the gas control valve and stop or reduce the noise, it would than insure that part is the cause of the noise. Would not want you to spend the money to replace the part, if it where not the direct cause.

If you are sure it is, I would highly suggest buying the exact OEM part for that unit. Doing so ensure no adjustments would be needed and the control will fix and operate exactly as intended for the speific heater.

Which cannot be said for any generic brand or model of controls. Generics should only be used when the original is no longer made, in my opinion. Although there is a huge price difference between the OEM and the replacement, parts may be the same. Price may indicate some difference is likely to be noticed.

The Honeywell equivalent valve in this instance is likely to be okay for the purpose. Furnace mafg'ers often have several suppliers for parts. Doing so on their part helps to ensure there are parts to continue to build units if one supplier cannot supply the parts for any reason(s).

Gas control valves are a non repairable items. Replacement is the option.