wheaterking gas furnace shutting off

Old 10-17-04, 10:29 AM
rlima
Visiting Guest
Question wheaterking gas furnace shutting off

Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with my weatherking furnace.
All the sequence looks fine but the flame goes out when the fan for the house kicks on. It happens every other 3 or 4 attempts.
At first I thought it could be the fan sucking up the flame but this possibility went away when I noticed that the flame went out and the fan was just starting.
Looks like it's not the valve too, I checked the 24vac on the valve and it's telling it to shut off.
Other things checked so far: 2 pressure switches 1 for the purging blower and the other one the goes into the chamber, not sure what that one is for.
What else can I check.
This is the first time I use it, I bought the house during last summer.
This is a 90plus upflow.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-04, 05:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Arrow Burner Flame Sensor and or Pilot Flame Sensor Dirty or Defective

Hello: rlima. Welcome to the Heating Furnaces forum topic and the Do It Yourself Web Site.

Most likely part to cause this type of problem is the flame sensor. The flame sensor is an element device usually located on the burners. It's a round sensor that has wire leads extending from it.

Cleaning the element is a simple matter of using a fine grit piece of sanding paper or steel wool. The part may have to be removed to accomplish this task. The connection points of this device should also be checked to insure a good clean connection.

If cleaning this part does not resolve the problem, replacing it should. However, it may not. Which indicates there could be any number of other problem possibilities.

Defective Solenoids:
The solenoids are inside the body of the gas valve body.

Defective Gas Valve:
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option if defective.

CAUTION:
Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve.
This is a NON repairable item.

Any one of several safety devices could be the cause of the problem too. The power venting fan and or one of it's componets or safety devices could be effecting the furnace condition described.

The ideal method for determining if either the solenoids, gas valve parts or other componets are defective, is to remove and take the entire gas valve assembly and or componets to the local retail heating appliance parts store or heating appliance dealers retail store and have the entire assembly and or parts tested.

CONCERNS:
Electronically operated and controlled appliances often require several tests on several componets to determine the exact cause of a problem. The procedures and methods vary and at times can become rather complexing.

TIP:
The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local parts store person test it or check it. Heating parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

CAUTION:
Be absolutely positive the electrical power is turned OFF before attemping ANY repairs!

Heating Agents & Heating furnace part stores carry replacement parts for almost every heater brand. The locations for the dealers, agents and retail part stores are listed in the phone book.

Check back on your question several more times. Heating professionals and other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of current questions automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Gas Appliances Topic Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-18-04, 07:27 AM
rlima
Visiting Guest
gas furnace

I checked the 24vac on the valve and I can tell that the valve only shuts off when the power goes off which indicate to me it's not the valve, am I right?
The sensor you mentioned does not seem to be dirty or damaged, can you see it phisically, I mean if it is damaged?

thanks for your response!

Old 10-18-04, 08:10 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: R. Lima

Clean sensor whether it looks dirty or not. Only way to know if it is all or part of the problem. Clean as suggested. Also, clean the connection points of this device. Must have a good clean connection at the terminal ends.

Valve okay electrically per the power test you made but does not prove interanlly it is working. Need to do diagnostic processes step by step. As long as power turns on and turns off to the valve, thus far okay.

Old 10-20-04, 05:25 AM
rlima
Visiting Guest
Smile Got it!!

I cleaned everything you said, made sure I had good connection for the flame sensor and the problem when away.
Thanks for your advice.