Trane XE80 burners won't ignite

Old 10-17-04, 01:22 PM
ctpd
Visiting Guest
Question Trane XE80 burners won't ignite

Heater is a Trane XE80 model #TUD100C936H3. What happens is the inducer starts, the ignitor glows and then there is a click, which I determined comes from the relays on top of the gas valve, but the burners don't light. This cycle goes on for around three times at which the red light on the control board constantly flashes fast. This flashing code apparently means "Normal-call for heat from thermostat". Eventually the blower kicks in and the flashing code is two flashes which means "System Lockout (Retries or Recycles exceeded)".

I start the cycle over by flipping the switch on the side of the unit on and off twice and after up to a dozen times the burners will eventually light off. Sometimes when the burners shut off the blower fan keeps running blowing cold air until the unit is shut of and then it resets.

This started near the end of last season and I had two different outfits out to look at it. Wouldn't you know it each time the heater performed flawlessly, so they couldn't diagnose the problem. Problem is it cost me $50($100 total)and the problem isn't fixed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am leaning toward the Furnace Control Board being defective. Just hoping it isn't the gas valve!!

I hope I have provided enough info for someone to give me an idea what may be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-04, 05:40 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: ctpd. Welcome to the Heating Furnaces forum topic and the Do It Yourself Web Site.

Some of the possible causes:

Weak HSI:
(hot surface glowing ignitor) Remove and replace.

Defective Gas Valve Solenoid:
(Non Repairable Part - Replace Entire Unit only)

Defective Flame Sensor:
Use light weigth sanding paper to clean sensors surface. May have to remove sensor. Sensor is the round element part with wires attached to it and the burner flames heat, when burners are on. Cleaning may or may not solve the problem. If cleaning does not solve the problem, replace the part.

Poor Ground At Flame Sensor Module:
(Remove Green Wire from ground on furnace - sand paper clean painted area and clean terminal end. Reinstall as found)

Power Vent Fan Restriction:
(Check hoses for moisture or water - clean as needed and reattach)

Exhaust Fan Relay/Switch
The exhaust fan relay may be defective. Fan will still operate. The fan relay should be located inside the control box where the circuit board is located. Some units have the control panel in the blower compartment while others in any other location available. Locations vary.

Retail heating parts dealers, heating agents and part supplers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and are listed in the phone book.

Resident heating professionals replying within this forum, could have additional helpful information, suggestions, advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of current questions automatically.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, the thermostat is turned down or off before attempting any repairs.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-17-04, 07:12 PM
ctpd
Visiting Guest
Checked gas valve voltage

I just checked the voltage on the gas valve and there is 24vac when the relay clicks then the voltage cuts out a few seconds later without the burners lighting.

The burners do light on occasion and the 24vac remains constant at that time.